PDA

View Full Version : How do I stand as a contractor on getting a new chair for H&S reasons?

butlera
10th October 2005, 09:55
I'm a contractor working for a company 3 days a week

I used to be a full time employee of another company and I had a bad back so H&S got me a new chair.

How do I stand as a contractor on getting a new chair for H&S reasons?

milanbenes
10th October 2005, 09:59
you go for it mate,

ask them for a company car and an index linked final salary pension while you're are at it

you never know, if you don't ask...

Milan.

boredsenseless
10th October 2005, 10:01
I don't think you qualify by rights although they'll probably accomodate if it doesn't cost them anything

tim123
10th October 2005, 10:45
This is a really tough one. Technically, they would be on the wrong end of a pay-out if you became incapable of working, having told them of the problem and they did nothing.

But OTOH why would you expect them to get you a new chair, if they already have complianent chairs for the rest of their staff.

You probably have some rights under the DDA, even as a subbie, some companies will have no problem with complying but others will just ignore the problem until they just decide not to re-new you.

Tim

sb5spa
10th October 2005, 10:45
There is a H&S obligation on the company to supply you with a chair which meets your health requirements and dos not cause you injury. The fact that you are not an employee is neither here nor there.

milanbenes
10th October 2005, 10:54
alright,

ignore the noddies

look mate, you're a contractor right ?

have a word with your boss and tell him about the
back problem and ask him if he wouldn't mind if
you bring your OWN special back supporting chair

now that is the professional contractor solution

going and asking the boss to provide one, you're on a
hiding to getting kicked out or not extended

also buying your own when the contract finishes you can use it in your
home office

here endeth the lesson

Milan.

hyperD
10th October 2005, 11:02
Agree with milano - get yourself one of these. They're excellent (as a fellow back sufferer whose bought one).

http://www.posturite.co.uk/PosturiteSite/category/Chairs/

They come to your office and fit them to size and show you how to use it. You trial it for a few weeks before you buy. Great service.

Or to be really flash, get one of these:

http://www.vedros.com/db_920225_BP1.jpg

ratewhore
10th October 2005, 11:06
Brilliant - bring your own chair to client site!!!!! :rollin:

Can just imagine this if you're contracting in the city and you commute...

...at least you'll get a seat on the tube!!!

:cool2:

voron
10th October 2005, 11:16
Brilliant - bring your own chair to client site!!!!!

Might help with that IR35 case :)

butlera
10th October 2005, 11:21
Its difficult because I'm only contracting 3 days for them and 2 days for myself from my own office. I do like those chairs though!

ratewhore
10th October 2005, 11:24
Just stand up for 3 days - you'll be fine.

:cool2:

G8_Summit
10th October 2005, 12:34
http://www.posturite.co.uk/public/pictures/products/standard/0305110.jpg

"RH Logic 4 Exclusive Leather
REF: 0305110 £1,145.63
(£975.00 ex. vat)
The balanced rocking movement has three main benefits: Continuous support of the seat and back whether leaning back whilst relaxing or sitting forward to address the keyboard, increased blood circulation to the lower limbs to reduce fatigue caused by static posture and an adjustable lumbar pump.

• Seat width 47cm
• Seat depth 48cm (with 5cm of adjustment)
• Backrest width 45cm
• Backrest height 63cm"

-------------------------------------------------

Feck me, eleven hundred quid for a chair. You're havin a larf mate.

~Craig~
10th October 2005, 12:41
Makes me laugh the naff chairs some companies buy; half of them you need to stand up every half hour. My personal favourites are the ones with like a mesh back instead of solid plastic. I'm sure it does make a difference in the long run.

threaded
10th October 2005, 12:42
I said the same thing when I spec'ed the winter pack for my Gallardo, which is essentially heated seats an' a cigarette lighter.

The Late, Great JC
10th October 2005, 12:46
I said the same thing when I spec'ed the winter pack for my Gallardo, which is essentially heated seats an' a cigarette lighter.

In dreams we do so many things...

omen666
10th October 2005, 13:03
"RH Logic 4 Exclusive Leather
REF: 0305110 £1,145.63
(£975.00 ex. vat)

£975 if your running a ltd ;)

voron
10th October 2005, 13:13
A fancy chair is all very well, but what will it do to the office feng shui?

hyperD
10th October 2005, 13:57
http://www.posturite.co.uk/public/pictures/products/standard/0305110.jpg

As a freelance it's quite good value if you consider your back going for a few days and being unable to sit upright and not being able to even open your email because of the pain.

Pays for itself in a day.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to take an unexpected week or two off work :(

In actual fact, I often sit in my posturite chair simply to relieve any pressure I feel in my lower back it's that good. But not as good as the lovely massaging hands of Kathy...

xodia
10th October 2005, 17:19
alright,
have a word with your boss and tell him about the
back problem and ask him if he wouldn't mind if
you bring your OWN special back supporting chair

Good advice, unless you consider moaning to your manager at every contract you get...

remember if you get you own chair it'll be one that suites you that you can take from contract to contract...

i remember i took my own chair in when I was working at Nokia and it was much more comfy than the standard company shit

threaded
10th October 2005, 17:56
xodia: I've worked Nokia at Cambridge, Espoo, and Chengdu (amongst others). Absolutely, a metal spike to sit on would be more comfortable. :tantrum:

xodia
10th October 2005, 18:37
threaded

I used to love the way ALL lan traffic went through Finland because they were so anal about losing control, apparently the Finnish stock market mirrors the share price of nokia.

Phone up on a clear phone line and say email is quing up at out end and they would say it that the line was bad and could I send a email...

Alf W
10th October 2005, 19:51
I've inherited one of these orthapaedic chairs from the Permy who sat at the desk before me and it's extremely uncomfortable no matter how much you play around with settings. Trying to adjust it whilst you're sat in it is the nearest thing I've ever done to riding in a Rodeo.

MarillionFan
10th October 2005, 20:35
New to the thread.

"ask them for a company car and an index linked final salary pension while you're are at it"

Made for LOL! :D

sparklelard
11th October 2005, 06:52
I suffer from a recurring neck problem, so when a worked for Big Bank, I asked about getting a special chair so that I would have neck support.

I had an assessment from occupational health and one from the supplier of the chair.

It was agreed that I could have one. The price tag - £1500. It took a few days getting used to it and everyone else who sat at my desk hated it.

It was like Captain Kirks' chair from the Enteprise.

Oh yes, I was a permie then.