• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tiscali going tits up!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiscali going tits up!

Looks like Tiscali may be going tits up if BSkyB or someone else steps in to buy the company.

Anyone recommend a good broadban provider? My area isnt supported by cable so no need to suggest Virgin!
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Looks like Tiscali may be going tits up if BSkyB or someone else steps in to buy the company.

Anyone recommend a good broadban provider? My area isnt supported by cable so no need to suggest Virgin!
    tits down

tits up is a good thing, if you think about it

Comment

be surprised if a buyer isnt found or they arent bought up at the last minute for a few hundred million.

Comment

Virgin also offer that copper-wire ADSL broadband thing in areas that aren't able to cope with the speed of light.

Dunno how good it is though - I've got one of their fibre optic cables running into my Edwardian flat. The ex-BT-copper-wire-thingy for the phone line hasn't worked in more than two years now, but it isn't of any use anyway. It's not as if I'm sending faxes.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
          tits down

tits up is a good thing, if you think about it
          Nope, the phrase "tits up" refers to the way dead fish float - it's synonymous with "belly up", just a cruder (by the standards of the 1940s) phrasing.

During the Second World War, when the middle classes were thrown into close contact with the vernacular of the working classes (whether by working in munitions factories as former housewives or commanding minesweepers as members of the RNVR) a number of "polite" versions of common phrases came into use, one of which was "belly up" instead of "tits up".

It's mildly interesting that, in later decades, the middle classes often reverted to the more decadent forms of such phrases.

The upper classes, of course, have always sworn like troopers. After all, nobody was going to tell them off for it

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Virgin also offer that copper-wire ADSL broadband thing in areas that aren't able to cope with the speed of light.

Dunno how good it is though - I've got one of their fibre optic cables running into my Edwardian flat. The ex-BT-copper-wire-thingy for the phone line hasn't worked in more than two years now, but it isn't of any use anyway. It's not as if I'm sending faxes.
            The service from Virign Media's fibre optic service is pretty reliable. Had it for a few months now and had little or no problems with it. Am on the 20mbits service, and hope to upgrade to the 50mbits service at some point. The only downside is that from time to time the download speed suffers, but that's a temporary glitch more than anything else. I can't comment on their ADSL service.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
            X