• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

job seekers allowance ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

job seekers allowance ...

Folks,

Been on the bench for nearly 6 weeks ... been putting off applying for JSA as I don't really want to go to the job centre every 2 weeks and have some wet behind the ears kid tell me how to look for jobs, etc.

For the guys/gals out there on the bench ... what are you doing? did you go for JSA right away? what was the "job centre plus" experience like?

I will need to talk to my bank very soon about renegotiating mortgage payments as my war chest won't last me long otherwise ... do you think whether or not I am on JSA will influence my discussions with the bank?

ziggy

Originally posted by ziggy View Post
    what was the "job centre plus" experience like?
    In South Wales I found them helpful and friendly. The offices were spacious, light and completely open plan. The staff gave you plenty of advice, were quite knowledgeable and would put themselves out if they thought it would help you get back into work. When I got a job through them I took in a card and a box of chocolates; apparently this was not unusual. The chap who had been seeing me fortnightly was genuinely happy for me.

In North Wales I found them a little cautious (why is this Englishman here looking for jobs?) but still polite and helpful. Their offices were open plan, a bit cramped and not recently decorated. Parking was easy and although they had fewer facilities than the South Wales offices, I do not recall queueing for more than a few minutes for anything.

In North London, I found the Job Centre staff to be rude, ignorant, intentionally unhelpful and downright unpleasant. The offices were cramped, dark and dirty. There were insufficient terminals for people wanting to do job searches. Most staff worked behind a wall and security door; there were a few desks out the front but you were not allowed to approach them until summoned. The queue at reception was typically 45 minutes. Everything had to be queued for separately. The staff did not know the rules and had no desire to find out. They would lie if it meant they did not have to do any work. I would have no compunction in locking the door with the staff inside and torching the building. These people were so embittered and unmotivated that I cannot see how they worked for the same organisation as the ones in Wales. No matter how hard I tried to be polite, they intentionally were rude and provoked an aggressive reaction. They refused to do anything that would help me find work; they just assume you are there to fiddle the system for money and that their role is to prevent you. They deserve all the assaults they get; I would blame no-one for hanging around outside to beat them up after work. As far as I could make out on the half dozen visits I made there, the staff were the cause of the atmosphere, not the attendees.
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

So I guess it is just down to luck i.e. where you live and what the local job centre is like there.

Still can't decide what to do ... I think there's an element of denial going on in my head i.e. am I unemployed or just in-between contracts ...

Comment

Go for it

Apply for it now. You can even get a % of your mortgage interest payments covered. Make sure that your savings appear as low as possible.

I finished my contract yesterday. I've paid my taxes - so I have no issue in applying to get a portion of my money back. I'll apply for JSA today.

Comment

"Appear" as low as possible, sounds like fraud to me. I wouldn't lower myself to claim JSA unless I was really in dire straits

Comment

Do you live in a ghetto?

Comment

Firstly you would have to sack yourself from your Ltd company, well shady if you still have any money in the company

Comment

Are you a pikey?
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Foxy Moron View Post
                  "Appear" as low as possible, sounds like fraud to me. I wouldn't lower myself to claim JSA unless I was really in dire straits
                  Let's just hope you never have to claim then. We wouldn't want you to have to 'lower yourself' , would we ?
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

A very permie thing to do, throw yourselves onto state handouts.

A real contractor just redoubles his efforts to get that next contract.

Comment

Working...
                    X