• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dumb agents and clients

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb agents and clients

"I want to speak to Voron. I represent X and have been told you are looking only for contract work. Is that correct?"

"Yes, that is correct."

"I have a permanent role."

"I'm not interested."

Which part of 'contract only' do these people fail to grasp? Yes, I'd love to work as a BA for £21k at your 20 FTE sized company no one has ever heard of.

maybe they wanted to offer you a permanent contract
    Chico, what time is it?

Comment

I have noted a certain desperation by agents to fill permie positions of late...

Comment

hah i had one of these the other week:
        agent: 'we have a good job opportunity for you'
        bassy: 'yes?'
        agent: 'launches into spiel of what the job entails and what location - ie near me' - bassy cannot get word in edgeways for around 6 minutes.
        bassy: ' what is the rate?'
        agent: 'oh its permanent'
        bassy: 'ah thanks not interested - i only do contract'
        agent: 'but its a very good package'
        bassy: 'no thanks i only do contract'
        agent: 'but its very close to you'
        agent: 'its a very good package'
        agent: 'its paying £45k'
        agent: 'how much would they need to pay for you to change your mind'
        bassy: 'what part of 'i only do contract' do you not understand.
        agent: 'ah so you're only looking for contract work then'
        bassy: 'YES'
        agent: 'oh i only deal with the permanent side'
        bassy: 'goodbye then'

i spent a good 15-20 minutes on the phone with this idiot and he just couldnt understand that i only do contract

Comment

Ah, yes, I've had a few of those. And that attitude isn't limited to permie roles. Try telling an agent that you aren't interested in a contract role - their mind simply can't comprehend that possibility.

Yup, and they honestly think £45k is good. Normally I tell them I want £70k plus bonuses. Never hear back from them

Comment

What is wrong with a permie job if it pays? £45K with the usual perks and a short commute is OK if you don't usually pull more than £30 an hour.

You haven't got to stay in it forever - in fact, many rabid contractors have been with the same client longer than your average permie. And not every permie job comes with unavoidable politics.

Comment

Originally posted by voron
              Ah, yes, I've had a few of those. And that attitude isn't limited to permie roles. Try telling an agent that you aren't interested in a contract role - their mind simply can't comprehend that possibility.
              I dont understand........your not interested in contract????

Comment

Originally posted by bassy
                hah i had one of these the other week:
                agent: 'we have a good job opportunity for you'
                bassy: 'yes?'
                agent: 'launches into spiel of what the job entails and what location - ie near me' - bassy cannot get word in edgeways for around 6 minutes.
                bassy: ' what is the rate?'
                agent: 'oh its permanent'
                bassy: 'ah thanks not interested - i only do contract'
                agent: 'but its a very good package'
                agent: 'but its very close to you'
                agent: 'its a very good package'
                agent: 'how much would they need to pay for you to change your mind'
                bassy: 'what part of 'i only do contract' do you not understand.
                agent: 'ah so you're only looking for contract work then'
                bassy: 'YES'
                agent: 'oh i only deal with the permanent side'
                bassy: 'goodbye then'

i spent a good 15-20 minutes on the phone with this idiot and he just couldnt understand that i only do contract
                No you're permanent - permanently on their blacklist for being an awkward, uncooperative bugger.

Comment

Well personally I think it all depends on the type of role you will be taking on. If the permanent role is good enough then I dont see any reason not to take it just because its not a contract position.

Mailman

Comment

"what is the rate?"
                    Dude, if you're in the habit of asking your customers what price you should be charging, no wonder they think you're suited to permie life.

Comment

Working...
                    X