• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

possibly my favourite programming quote of all time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possibly my favourite programming quote of all time

“[T]he vast majority of programming jobs are in businesses where programmers are treated as glorified typists who know a special syntax. Much of the work is drudgery, infected by spaghetti legacy code or third-party software packages sold via the old school “steak & strippers” approach, colleagues and/or management doesn’t “get it,” little or no opportunity to grow professionally unless you do it on your own time, pay is remarkably meager in relation to the amount of skill the job putatively requires while the hours are expected to be long and job security is nearly non-existent. Projects are derailed, constantly late, interfered with or sabotaged.

To do better, career-wise, you pretty much have to be visible: write blog posts, publish code, learn obsessively in your own time, post on mailing lists, support newbies, speak at conferences, have super elite special skillz or be a known expert in some esoteric thing, and so on.”
    - Amy Hoy
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard
    You're fulfilling a business role not partaking in a rock and roll concert.

Stop whinging you leftie loser.

HTH

Comment

"To do better, career-wise, you pretty much have to be visible"
      an arselicker
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Stop whinging you leftie loser.
        on the contrary, i'm sorted - the above just reminds me why i went freelance....
        Originally posted by BolshieBastard
        You're fulfilling a business role not partaking in a rock and roll concert.

Comment

Better than

"Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later"

"How does a project get to be a year late? One day at a time."

"Goto considered harmful"

?

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
            Better than

"Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later"

"How does a project get to be a year late? One day at a time."

"Goto considered harmful"

?
            "A software application is a device or devices that turns data into error codes"
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

My favourite programming quote of all time is ' ' , much prefer it to " "

Comment

Originally posted by Foxy Moron View Post
                was that you calling down airstrikes on the hunt at the weekend ?

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Foxy Moron View Post
                  Old programmers never die, they just recurse.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Code:
                    The following code was written by <developer name>.
                     Unless it doesn't work, then I have no idea who wrote it.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X