• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rejected for role on environmental grounds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rejected for role on environmental grounds

No, I haven’t farted in the server room.

I just received a phone call from an agent who says her Client won’t consider me for the role because I 'live too far away and would increase ClientCo’s carbon footprint'. I said I always travel by train and stay in B&Bs close to ClientCo, but to no avail; ClientCo has a policy not to hire people from more than 50kms away due to environmental concerns. ClientCo did however say that my CV fit the role almost perfectly and they “regret this decision”.

So should I conclude they’re happy to have an unsuitable numpty who lives 49kms away and drives into work in a Hummer, but not a suitably qualified person from 100kms away who uses the train?

This is the weirdest rejection reason I’ve ever heard.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Local jobs for local people. We'll have no trouble here!

Comment

Ha ha ha ha ha ha Sorry I'm not laughing at you for missing out on the role. I'm laughing at the absurdity of turning down a good fit candidate on carbon footprint grounds... Unbelievable. They need a good

Seriously that sucks..

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        No, I haven’t farted in the server room.

I just received a phone call from an agent who says her Client won’t consider me for the role because I 'live too far away and would increase ClientCo’s carbon footprint'. I said I always travel by train and stay in B&Bs close to ClientCo, but to no avail; ClientCo has a policy not to hire people from more than 50kms away due to environmental concerns. ClientCo did however say that my CV fit the role almost perfectly and they “regret this decision”.

So should I conclude they’re happy to have an unsuitable numpty who lives 49kms away and drives into work in a Hummer, but not a suitably qualified person from 100kms away who uses the train?

This is the weirdest rejection reason I’ve ever heard.
        Can't you move, or, at least you say you are moving and head back at weekends under cover?

Comment

Political Correctness Gone Mad <tm>
          Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
            Can't you move, or, at least you say you are moving and head back at weekends under cover?
            Might have to. I can probably wangle a postal address nearby if I speak to a few mates, but I think it's too late.

I guess it’s just modern management; the alchemy of turning gold into shytte.

Comment

But as an EU citizen you should be allowed to commute to the faroe isles to work if you so wish, it's your right™.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                But as an EU citizen you should be allowed to commute to the faroe isles to work if you so wish, it's your right™.
                If they have a bit more common sense in the Faroe Islands than here I might consider doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  I just received a phone call from an agent who says her Client won’t consider me for the role because I 'live too far away and would increase ClientCo’s carbon footprint'.
                  Yes, British Airways are a funny client to work for.

Comment

To be honest thats the best ever rejection reason iv ever seen....

If every clientCo started doing that, then what would happen to those thousands of people who come in london everyday from the likes Campbridge,Bedford, Brighton etc

Feel sorry for you though.....Best of luck anyways....

Comment

Working...
                    X