• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Free Holidays here!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Holidays here!

Something to consider if you are benched...

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/fly-...0311-8vbg.html

Originally posted by DocP View Post

Catastrophic decline in tourism alright according to the article:

"Inbound tourism has taken a considerable hit, falling by at least 1 per cent compared to a year ago."

Comment

Originally posted by DocP View Post

Sadly it involves a long haul flight.

I now hate the airport 'experience' so much I genuinely would decline a free holiday that included flights at each end.

(Unless it were really, really, really special and 2 weeks in Australia is not enough incentive.)
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

I must admit, I go completely mental when people say to me :

"ooh, you've been to NZ...I could never go, that's a 23 hour flight"

or

"I only go as far as Spain. Anything else is too long on the plane".

I mean, what is the problem with these people ?

If you want to see the world, get on a plane, and fly there.

It's that simple.

Yes, there will be a period in which you are "in the air".

During which time you can :

Eat
        Sleep
        Read a book
        Talk to a partner or friend
        Eat some more
        Sleep
        Drink
        Get up an walk around for a bit
        Look out the window
        Do a puzzle book
        Watch various inflight movies
        Listen to various inflight radio stations
        Play with your laptop if you brought one
        Play "Spot the Terrorist Bomber"

Being bored is no fekking excuse.

What are these people, 5 year olds with an equivalent attention span ?

I can perhaps understand it if they have a medical problem, but surely it's not too much to ask to sit on a plane, amuse yourself as long as it takes and then get to a destination and see another country ?

Surely a minor inconvenience to your time is well worth the opportunity to see another country and culture ?
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I agree, but I can't sleep properly on an aircraft, mind you I tend to go cattle class. I'd go to Autralia tomorrow is someone would guarantee nobody would speak in that horrible question tonation accent?

Comment

If that was in reference to me, I do not having a trouble flying. On my 'to do' list is some of the railway journeys of the world which make long haul flights look like short hops.

I do have a trouble with airports, customs, baggage handlers and the airline staff.
            Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Sorry BI, it wasn't in reference to you, just to clarify.

Indeed I can appreciate the hassle at the airport, having had plenty of it myself over the years. Not that it phases me to be honest (apart from the one time when they refused to let me take on board a delicate medieval rapier (it was safety wrapped in foam) and insisted it went in cargo. This was pre-911 before you ask.)

I was referring to the actual flight time that some people seem to find hard to accept.

"Oooh...5 hours on a plane...that's not for me. I'd rather drive 8 hours to Aberdeen and see my inlaws..." I mean..wtf ?
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                If that was in reference to me, I do not having a trouble flying. On my 'to do' list is some of the railway journeys of the world which make long haul flights look like short hops.

I do have a trouble with airports, customs, baggage handlers and the airline staff.
                WHS

Last time I was returing in a plane, it flew right over my block in London, within 3000 feet, but I didn't actually get back there after landing at Heathrow Heathrow for another four hours

The outbound leg is even worse for delays and hassle, and there's the additional worry of being delayed and missing the flight, or forgetting your passport or ticket or baggage.

A domestic flight from Heathrow to, say, Newcastle or Glasgow is a quick "up and over" not more than half an hour once you're in the air, but with all the faffing around at either end it's almost quicker to drive if you toe it a bit.

and there's a high probability of catching lurgie from recycled air in the plane, and people coughing and wheezing, and passing on all manner of weird tropical diseases.

Oh and you can't smoke in planes these days
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

It's not free, it's a rip-off. You have to spend a specified amount while there, which could be as much as $5000.

Comment

Working...
                  X