• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

short contract question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

short contract question

hi guys,

my last contract was long and through an umbrella, i'm now doing a 7-dayer and i'm halfway through it and don't have a contract set up (perhaps silly i know, but it was a quick last-minute gig).

i'm just wondering if it is worth me not bothering to put this through the umbrella and getting paid direct and going as a sole-trader for this gig? can i do that?!

also, what are my tax options here!? hint hint ;-)

Originally posted by catboy View Post
    hi guys,

my last contract was long and through an umbrella, i'm now doing a 7-dayer and i'm halfway through it and don't have a contract set up (perhaps silly i know, but it was a quick last-minute gig).

i'm just wondering if it is worth me not bothering to put this through the umbrella and getting paid direct and going as a sole-trader for this gig? can i do that?!

also, what are my tax options here!? hint hint ;-)
    1. Declare it on your SA at year end, pay the tax due.
    2. Don't declare on your SA at year end, go to jail.

HTH
    Still Invoicing

Comment

i think i prefer option 1!

what is 'SA'?

Comment

Self Assesment
        Still Invoicing

Comment

doh, ok, thanks!

Comment

catboy it might be wise for you to use the umbrella till you sort out all your basic ltd stuff. don't create head aches for your self.
            We’re given little to no time for proper analysis and design, and, when we ask management about hiring professional testers and setting up a QA process—well, I’ve seen deer in my headlights look less stunned

-- The Career Programmer

sibantubanye

Comment

If they're paying you direct then you can probably just treat this as self employed earnings and put it on your SA as such at the end of the tax year. This will probably be a better option (financially) than paying it all as PAYE through your umbrella.

There is no need to worry about Limited Companies etc. Sole Trader (self employed doesn't require a Limited Company). As long as the client is happy to pay you direct then you can do it as self employed.

Comment

Working...
              X