• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newcastle Upon Tyne

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newcastle Upon Tyne

Got to spend a weekend up there in a few weeks. Went to Uni there back in the 80's and thought I'd have a nostalgic evening out though it
    would seem that all my favourite old haunts no longer exist - The Broken Doll, Strawberry, Barley Mow, Farmers Arms. It would seem that even the Hotspur is some kind of gastro pub now. Where do the sorts of people who used to frequent such places go these days? Can't all be Yates Wine Bar and Durty Nellies can it?

Don’t go… they'll take the piss out of your funny accent.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Strawberry is still there.....
      Hotspur is not too bad still, but it has lost its vibe a bit. 3 Bulls is always full

The Gate complex is very popular.

Quay-side is as busy as its always been.......

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
        Got to spend a weekend up there in a few weeks. Went to Uni there back in the 80's and thought I'd have a nostalgic evening out though it
        would seem that all my favourite old haunts no longer exist - The Broken Doll,Strawberry, Barley Mow, Farmers Arms. It would seem that even the Hotspur is some kind of gastro pub now. Where do the sorts of people who used to frequent such places go these days? Can't all be Yates Wine Bar and Durty Nellies can it?
        Changed a hell of lot since the 80's. You've now got distinct drinking areas like The Quayside, The Gate, Haymarket and of course the Bigg Market.

More bridges as well.
        Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
          Changed a hell of lot since the 80's. You've now got distinct drinking areas like The Quayside, The Gate, Haymarket and of course the Bigg Market.

More bridges as well.
          Quayside was ok - is the Cooperage still there?

Comment

What're you after Wurzel?

There's pubs for every desire....

If it's real ale pubs you like, The Bridge is always good, as is the Bodega, Newcastle Arms, The Crown Pasada and even the Duke of Wellington.

For disco pubs, perhaps someone else can chip in?

'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post

There's pubs for every desire....

If it's real ale pubs you like, The Bridge is always good, as is the Bodega, Newcastle Arms, The Crown Pasada and even the Duke of Wellington.

For disco pubs, perhaps someone else can chip in?

+1
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post

Pubs like those I listed in the original post basically. Nothing artificial, perhaps some live music, pool table , good beer etc. Broken Doll would have fitted the bill but apparently it's been demolished to make way for a bypass or something!

Comment

Let me know the dates and the type of music you like and I'll give you a full run down of what's going on?

The pub music scene is quite healthy, but not necessarily in the town centre or down the quayside.

Good beer abounds though if you know where to look.

And if you like jailbait, there's always the Bigg Market
                  'elf and safety guru

Comment

anyone noticed that not all the birds look like Cheryl Cole... until after 11pm

strange that

Comment

Working...
                    X