• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Council Tax non payment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Council Tax non payment

Council Tax Non payment.

Can someone explain.

The recent spate of 2 or 3 Pensioners not paying the tax increase.

When interviewed on telly, one old feller was asked, "After you served your prison sentence, was the debt cancelled ?"

And apparently it is considered 'settled'. (Note: No one paid the amount owing for him)

My question therefore is :

Instead of sending him to prison, why didn't the council send the bailiffs in to seize assets worth the amount owing ?

Whilst 'resting' maybe we could rest inside for a few weeks (food 'n full board) and save a couple of grand in council tax ?

Originally posted by BobTheCrate
    Whilst 'resting' maybe we could rest inside for a few weeks (food 'n full board) and save a couple of grand in council tax ?
    So you would rather get criminal record, eat crap food and try not to drop soap in the showers for a few weeks rather than pay £1k tax?

Comment

That is almost exactly what happened to Tom in 'The Good Life'!

Prison is fine for some people and holds no fears. For others, like the majority on this board, it would be a nightmare worse than death. I suspect playing hide the sausage with Big Bubba would be the least of your worries.

Comment

Now hold on a shake AtW.

My question is why didn't the council send in the bailiffs ?

Secondly - a criminal record means diddly squat now in this country. CRs are dished out like confetti now. It doesn't mean what it used to.

Thirdly - I said a couple of grand, not one

Fourth - Dunno 'bout you but I've got quite a strong stomach.

Comment

Thirdly - I said a couple of grand, not one
          So, a couple of grand make all the difference to you in having a change in your girlfriend's name from (say) Lucy to (say) Rock?

Comment

My question was, why didn't the council send in the bailiffs ? Assuming it is about the money and not 'citizen obediance'.

Why keep getting hung up on what I may or may not do in a hypothetical situation ?
            Last edited by BobTheCrate; 10 October 2005, 14:48.

Comment

Why get hung up on what I may or may not do in a hyperthetical situation.
              Because you looked favourable of getting into this situation:

As for why they did not send bailiffs -- I think they may have tried but I think bailiffs can't break door in and force their way to carry stuff out. So the only real option was to jail the person in question, this certainly was made in the interest of setting example too all others who were watching.

Comment

Bailiffs most certainly do have the right to break down doors and remove things. Provided they have a court order.

They're most adept at it. (I believe )

Comment

They're most adept at it. (I believe )
                  Last time I checked everything was not that straightforward, when I had court order to use bailiffs on the scumbag landlord who sued me and lost in court, then they did not do their job properly -- just checked the house she claimed to live in and did not do squat saying she does not live there (which was true, she effectively lied on court forms in addition to other lies she had).

My solution was to use 3rd party debt order -- this allows to arrest money in bank account used by the losing party easily, worked like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                    So you would rather get criminal record, eat crap food and try not to drop soap in the showers for a few weeks rather than pay £1k tax?
                    Not paying council tax and his savings from not visiting Kings Cross would make it well worth his while for BobTheGate. He dreams of dropping the soap in the prison showers.

Comment

Working...
                    X