• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do agents do this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do agents do this?

"Hello, are you Mr scooter"

"Why yes"

"I've a contract opportunity based in Bristol, for a guy such as yourself at £35p/h"

"Well I would not entertain a contract at this rate, but thank you for calling"

"Would it be ok if I sent you the spec?"

"well ok, but I still would not entertain the role at this rate"

"Thanks scooter"

Sure enough the spec comes through - whit?

Did the agent think I was lying to them when I said the rate was too low? What's wrong with these people?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    "Hello, are you Mr scooter"

"Why yes"

"I've a contract opportunity based in Bristol, for a guy such as yourself at £35p/h"

"Well I would not entertain a contract at this rate, but thank you for calling"

"Would it be ok if I sent you the spec?"

"well ok, but I still would not entertain the role at this rate"

"Thanks scooter"

Sure enough the spec comes through - whit?

Did the agent think I was lying to them when I said the rate was too low? What's wrong with these people?

Perhaps it was just a recording a-la "The IT Crowd"

"Have you tried turning it off and on again"....

Comment

This morning I told an agent six times (I counted) that I wouldn't supply references without an offer from the client, and that if that was a requirement then we couldn't do business. He still sent through

- a job spec
      - an NDA
      - some piece of guff which, more or less, said I wouldn't do anything at all, ever, without clearing it with him first

Luckily I didn't want the contract anyway.

Comment

Ask the agent something technical - like what operating systems the client uses, how much RAM their machines have.

More and more I find IT agents are actually former estate agents. They knew f*** all about houses and house prices, and now they know f*** all about IT work.

Perhaps you can embarrass him into giving up. But probably not. If they had any personal insight, they wouldn't be such persistent morons.

(with apologies to the one or two agents out there who know the difference between Oracle and Microsoft).

Comment

there is a reason recruitment consultant jobs are advertised under every single job type you can think of... its there to lure in those who are too ****** stupid to even get a job doing what they are supposed to be qualified or experienced to do... those who click on "Earn 100k OTE" advertisments

Comment

It makes them look busy if their boss is looking over their shoulder....

"yes, can I send you the details"

"NO"

"OK, I'll email them directly to you"

"NO"

"Yeah, great, check them over and let me know if I can put you foreward?"

"NOOOOOO"

"Thanks again and nice speaking to you"
            'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by phileds View Post
              Ask the agent something technical - like what operating systems the client uses, how much RAM their machines have.

More and more I find IT agents are actually former estate agents. They knew f*** all about houses and house prices, and now they know f*** all about IT work.

Perhaps you can embarrass him into giving up. But probably not. If they had any personal insight, they wouldn't be such persistent morons.

(with apologies to the one or two agents out there who know the difference between Oracle and Microsoft).
              I would expect agent to know how much RAM their clients machines have to be honest Haha.

I hear a lot of contractors slag agents off because they dont know this technology from that. Frequently I get agents on the phone asking questions about a certain clients requirements and I am happy to give them a layman's explanation. No skin off my nose.

I don't care that agents dont have a deep technical knowledge or even in some cases even a superficial one. As long as they have the skills that I don't have, namely to slimey up to the client and get me work at the right price, then it's a beautiful relationship as far as I'm concerned and I'm happy for them to take their cut.

Comment

lightng : I don't care that agents dont have a deep technical knowledge or even in some cases even a superficial one. As long as they have the skills that I don't have, namely to slimey up to the client and get me work at the right price, then it's a beautiful relationship as far as I'm concerned and I'm happy for them to take their cut.

a small, one off

It's one thing to take charge the client a couple of hundred to place a client.

It's another to attach a parasitic feeder to the contractor and suck up additional revenue for every day he works.
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

It's like asking why dogs lick their arseholes, they don't know any better.

Comment

I had an agent try and be smart with me last week on the phone during a convo about my CV by asking "So what experience do you have in IT Governance?".. to which I asked "In what aspect?"... he quickly shut up and changed the convo.

This was the same cowboy who left a message on my phone saying "call me ASAP about an urgent role I have for you".. then when I called him back he didn't know who I was or what he'd called me about, which turned into a 'non-job' phone-call.
                    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Working...
                    X