• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What does your word mean ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does your word mean ?

Is your word your bond ?

would you crawl for a hundred miles on your hands and knees over broken glass to do something, just because you said you would do it ?

or

do you think this is a peculiar western/oldie/male foolishness ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

If a banker says their word is their bond : take their bond.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

HTH

bankers/*******

what does YOUR word mean?

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        bankers/*******

what does YOUR word mean?

I am a banker.

You would prefer my bond. If I had one. Which I dont. Ask my ex.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          take billions in taxpayers' money to buy discount government bonds in an auction

(and try not to piss yourself laughing)
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

I got pulled up during a role playing once when I promised to get back to the person within a day, if not with a resolution to his problem, with at least an update...

I was castigated by the "consultants" for making promises that I'd no intention of keeping....

The wouldn't accept that if I said I'd get back to someone in 24 hours, I get back to them in 24 hours.

Even when a few of the other guys on the seminar I worked with chirped up with "yep, he does you know, if he says he'll get back to you he always does!"

I cannot trust someone who says one thing and does another... and wouldn't expect anyone to trust me in the same circumstances!
            'elf and safety guru

Comment

I recently had two potential gigs, one greatly preferable to the other. The less preferred one came through with an offer for an immediate start while the other was still dicking about, so I took it.

Then I had great interest from the preferred gig, and the agents were pressuring me to find some way out of the current gig. I believe they kept the client in the dark about my availability. This resulted in them putting even more pressure on me once the client was extremely keen (after a face-to-face interview), but only for an immediate start; there were another two agencies putting people in there (which I know was indeed the case, as I detected this from Jobserve posts), and I was apparently "jeopardising the opportunity".

I finally had a call from the agent more senior than the one who was supposed to be dealing with me, telling me how risky it was for them to go to the client saying I couldn't start until April, and how I'd lose (them) the gig.

I told him that I had to abide by my principles: I had agreed a contract, it was for the specific services of myself (RoS isn't an option for the current gig), and although I had no intention of extending I would nonetheless see it through, as I had given my word.

He sounded most disgruntled as he agreed to go back the prospective client with that

Lo! Prospective client decided that they'd be willing to wait for me rather than hire a lesser mortal. As a result, I finish this gig on the due Friday, and start the new, preferable gig the following Monday; and my word remains my bond

Comment

I have had three occasions where, on being offered a new gig, the new client has asked me to start before I finish at the current client. In each case I've said "Would you want me to do that to you?" and then they shut up.

(with hindsight, I should have thought of some way of having them run concurrently...)
                Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

you think this is a peculiar western/oldie/male foolishness ?

Yes
                  Bored.

Comment

I promised my daughter ( back in Dec) that I would go to her Brownie Promise evening - which is now next Monday - having been postponed several times.
                    I shall be loosing a days pay (), but I will be keeping my word to my daughter and I think this is more important.
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                    X