• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recession...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recession...

Saw an A-reg Toyota Corolla this morning - that's the oldest one i've seen so far, not taking into account the classic cars of course...

Boom

I saw a tudor mansion this morning. Looked expensive.

Comment

Ah, the Toyota Corolla, the worlds most popular car, no wonder, they never seem to die.

Comment

Originally posted by AZZIK View Post
        Saw an A-reg Toyota Corolla this morning - that's the oldest one i've seen so far, not taking into account the classic cars of course...
        Would that be an A starting or an A ending the registration?

There was an interesting program on TV the other night about the guys here who are taking in the old cars as part of the Governments drive for people to buy new ones (if your car is over 9 years old you can p/x it and get €2,500 if its scrapped.) Once the paperwork has been done then the car is not allowed to leave the yard until its crushed although they can strip it and some of the cars were actually in pretty good condition. What is happening though is:

- people cannot sell their older cars privately anymore as no-one wants to pay for them
        - the scrappies have warehouses full of parts yet no-one wants to buy them because they're all scrapping their cars
        - the decent cars that they get in, they used to sell on to Africa but they can't do that now
        - once the bonus incentive is over then they're going to be stuffed
        - and there was some other moans and groans

What was quite interesting was they got 2 guys going round garages to buy a new car, one with an old one to scrap and the other to just buy a new one. The guy with the old one got some amazing deals, down to 45% off, because the car dealers are getting an incentive from the government to do this. The guy with no p/x got bugger all which is a bit silly as even giving him a bit more discount would still mean one more car sold and helping the industry.
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by AZZIK View Post
          88 mph?
          The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Working...
          X