• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another Govt Computer System Disaster

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Govt Computer System Disaster

Which one of you were responsible this time

http://www.itpro.co.uk/610158/nao-ca...acular-failure
    'elf and safety guru

Oh good, I guess they'll be needing testers when they restart the project.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

But the report did point out that National Offender Management Service has managed to reduce the numbers of databases used from 220 to three, and that it had recently made progress in getting the project back on track.
      In so far as the other 217 databases, backed-up to DVD ROM and subsequently deleted are currently for sale on Bridge Street Market, the proceeds from which will be used to offset the spiralling project costs.

Comment

Three letters.

EDS.

HTH.

Comment

According to the NAO it was the senior civils servants who were supposed to be running it who screwed up, rather than the development teams. Out of 8 causes of Govt IT project failure identified by the NAO ond OGC the NOMIS managed to hit 7 of them.

1. Lack of clear senior management and Ministerial ownership and leadership

2. Lack of skills and proven approach to project management and risk management

3. Lack of understanding of and contact with the supply industry at senior levels of the organisation

4. Lack of effective project team integration between clients, the supplier team and the supply chain

5. Lack of clear link between the project and the organisation’s key strategic priorities, including agreed measures of success

6. Lack of effective engagement with stakeholders

7. Evaluation of proposals driven by initial price rather than long-term value for money

I'm no PM but even I can see that this is basic stuff.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Three letters.

EDS.

HTH.
            Erase Data Studiously?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              According to the NAO it was the senior civils servants who were supposed to be running it who screwed up, rather than the development teams. Out of 8 causes of Govt IT project failure identified by the NAO ond OGC the NOMIS managed to hit 7 of them.

1. Lack of clear senior management and Ministerial ownership and leadership

2. Lack of skills and proven approach to project management and risk management

3. Lack of understanding of and contact with the supply industry at senior levels of the organisation

4. Lack of effective project team integration between clients, the supplier team and the supply chain

5. Lack of clear link between the project and the organisation’s key strategic priorities, including agreed measures of success

6. Lack of effective engagement with stakeholders

7. Evaluation of proposals driven by initial price rather than long-term value for money

I'm no PM but even I can see that this is basic stuff.
              That report could have been condensed to the three words I've underlined.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Ends Disasterously Sh it

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  That report could have been condensed to the three words I've underlined.
                  Indeed. Until the political cronyism endemic in British business is replaced by a genuine meritocracy, banks will go down, IT projects will fail and the economy will be tulipe.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BlightyBoy View Post
                    Erase Data Studiously?
                    Nope. Every Day Sucks.
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                    X