• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax the fat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax the fat

Yet another call for higher taxes, this time from a GP. Why does every problem have a "solution" that involves higher taxes? And why does every crackpot idea like this make it onto the bbc website?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7938282.stm
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

I wish they'd ban fat people from pubs

Comment

Ddo you think we're now addicted to the Nanny Society...

Nobody is taking responsibility for themselves.

"we need laws for this and taxes to discourage that"

Bollox we do!

We need people to take care of themselves.

I'm off to get some chocolate while it's still cheap!
      'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by Foxy Moron View Post
        corridors
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

You'd probably get 90% closure if you banned fat people from pubs!!!
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Foxy Moron View Post
            I smoke to keep thin

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
              Ddo you think we're now addicted to the Nanny Society...

Nobody is taking responsibility for themselves.

"we need laws for this and taxes to discourage that"

Bollox we do!

We need people to take care of themselves.

I'm off to get some chocolate while it's still cheap!
              The bit that gets me is the quick step from "this would be good" to "here comes another law". I do wish that government would pause a bit between these two, and ask themselves whether the mandate from the people, which is their ONLY justification for exercising power, requires them to make this law.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                The bit that gets me is the quick step from "this would be good" to "here comes another law". I do wish that government would pause a bit between these two, and ask themselves whether the mandate from the people, which is their ONLY justification for exercising power, requires them to make this law.
                And indeed start from the default position that a law is not necessary until all other options have been exhausted.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Not another Tax. Do we not have enough of those?

Comment

"I had one patient recently who said to me she thought chocolate was good for you. People are being brainwashed into believing this."
                    That is deliberate misinformation, which makes me wonder whether New Labour kite-flying is behind this. Chocolate is not harmful, and does not cause obesity or diabetes.

It is refined sugar that does these things and, to a lesser extent, refined starch. They are worse than fats.

So if he truly believes in taxing things that are harmful, it should be the use of these things in food products.

Comment

Working...
                    X