• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question about the A3 (road not car)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about the A3 (road not car)

I've driven up and down the A3 as far south as Guildford and where it joins the A31, but is the A3 dual carriageway and free of traffic lights and roundabouts going further south?

Or does it turn to tulip at some point?

I think it's dual carriageway pretty much everywhere except for Hindhead where they are building a tunnel.

Comment

A3

It continues to be Ok South Of Guildford but then turns to tulip at Hindhead and the devils punch bowl - there are ways to avoid this but to be honest
      you are better off sitting in the queue !

Where is the gig ?

Comment

Yep, London to just North of Hindhead is fine.

Portsmouth (on the coast) to just South of Hindhead is fine.

Hindhead is tulip - can't wait for the tunnel, due to open sometime in 2011. They've just broken though in the middle
        Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by weemster View Post
          It continues to be Ok South Of Guildford but then turns to tulip at Hindhead and the devils punch bowl - there are ways to avoid this but to be honest
          you are better off sitting in the queue !

Where is the gig ?

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/3832.aspx

Thanks for that. It's not for a gig it's for other reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
            Yep, London to just North of Hindhead is fine.

Portsmouth (on the coast) to just South of Hindhead is fine.

Hindhead is tulip - can't wait for the tunnel, due to open sometime in 2011. They've just broken though in the middle
            Perhaps if they dug south we could all drive to Aus or Nz and escape
            the Uk for a year !

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              It's not for a gig it's for other reasons.
              You are not going to buy a mini mansion in souless Surrey !?

Comment

The A3 south of hindhead has a roundabout at the Selbourne turn-off. Other than that, its dual carriageway until it switches to the A3(M) and joins the M27 at pompey

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                  Rising house prices have overtaken his budget.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                    Surrey, Hampshire or West Sussex.

Swindon is getting too gentrified for me.

Plus it's full of tourists now

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...eat-2008-.html

Forget Liverpool and the City of Culture. The place that visitors cannot seem to get enough of at the moment is none other than Swindon, in Wiltshire.

Holiday Inn says the old Great Western Railway town is its fastest-growing tourist destination. In the past 12 months the company's Swindon hotels saw an increase in room bookings of almost 12 per cent.

The place has its critics. Author Mark Haddon, in his bestseller The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time, describes the town as 'the a**e of the world'. Comedian Eddie Izzard once claimed Swindon was a 'knackered kind of Fresno Town'.

However, not all commentators are so brutal about the destination that has outperformed all other locations in Britain for hotel night stays.

According to Channel 4's Grand Designs presenter Kevin McCloud, 'Swindon is a delight - I love it. I travel all over Britain, I look at a lot of really crap towns and Swindon is not a crap town.'
                    Last edited by DimPrawn; 12 March 2009, 12:58.

Comment

Working...
                    X