PDA

View Full Version : Would you take any job to get through the depression?

sasguru
12th March 2009, 15:56
Vote now

DimPrawn
12th March 2009, 15:57
Where?

Foxy Moron
12th March 2009, 15:58
What do you think I am, a Poll?

Drewster
12th March 2009, 15:58
Vote now

No I wouldn't take ANY job to get through the depression.....
No hang on - I wouldn't take JUST any job....
I mean I would consider most jobs...
Well you get the gist

DimPrawn
12th March 2009, 15:59
Would you take any job to get through the depression?

I'm not depressed.

HTH

Pondlife
12th March 2009, 15:59
If this poll takes much longer I'm in danger of spoiling my ballot card

zara_backdog
12th March 2009, 16:00
Most jobs - yes
Any job - No

sasguru
12th March 2009, 16:01
There!

cailin maith
12th March 2009, 16:11
Are we having a depression or a recession?

Ruprect
12th March 2009, 16:11

A panic attack

Foxy Moron
12th March 2009, 16:13

i don't know, but there's plenty of inflation goes on at Cyberman's house. Good job he got the easy wipe down model

cailin maith
A panic attack

Fab - I am good at those :)

Mich the Tester
Are we having a depression or a recession?If you ask Gordon Shit it's a 'downturn stemming from the problems in the United States'. If you ask anyone else it's a depression.

sasguru
Congratulations to pmeswani who's not afraid to show his sexual orientation on a public forum :yay:

PM-Junkie
12th March 2009, 16:25
If you want the factual definition, a depression is where the GNP falls by more than 10% (GNP differs from GDP, which is the figure usually referred to in the press and media, in that it includes figures for goods and services produced overseas).

So, despite what the doom-mongers may say, this is not a depression. Yet. But our beloved leader is working on it...

BrilloPad
12th March 2009, 16:34

Depression only when GDP drops by 10% in total. Though there is some debate.....

TheBigD
12th March 2009, 16:47
What if the recession/depression lasted longer than you're savings? Would you then do 'any' job to maintain a somewhat decent standard of living, or rely solely on benefits?

Ruprect
12th March 2009, 17:16
What if the recession/depression lasted longer than you're savings? Would you then do 'any' job to maintain a somewhat decent standard of living, or rely solely on benefits?

:spel :suicide:

again.....

thunderlizard
12th March 2009, 17:26
Depression only when GDP drops by 10% in total. Though there is some debate.....

I thought it was 4 consecutive quarters of negative growth.

(Of course nobody actually knows how to define 'growth' or 'GDP', so there is indeed some debate).

scooterscot
12th March 2009, 17:31
Depression, what depression? I'm juggling between 3 contracts.

PM-Junkie
12th March 2009, 17:34
I thought it was 4 consecutive quarters of negative growth.

(Of course nobody actually knows how to define 'growth' or 'GDP', so there is indeed some debate).

So we had a depression in 1990/91 did we???

Foxy Moron
12th March 2009, 17:41
I'd work on a Chicken Farm if I had to:tongue

BrilloPad
12th March 2009, 17:56
Yes

Pogle
12th March 2009, 18:03
I guess I would.
And I may have too. Current contract has been extended for 12 days, untill the end of the financial year. After then who knows, I may end up at Manchester city council on £16 an hour :eek

minestrone
12th March 2009, 18:53
I have worked constantly from the age of 14 and some of these jobs I had to do were real crap, 100 hours a week in butcher shops type stuff.

As I pointed out to my teacher friend recently my tax input alone has paid for a teacher's wages for the last 6 years.

I work mainly in the financials and if I cannot get a job by Christmas then all my savings will be moved offshore and I will present myself at the labour exchange. I have done my share and if the PM has cost me a market then he should be paying for me. It's my turn to get something back.

DieScum
12th March 2009, 19:01
I will present myself at the labour exchange. I have done my share and if the PM has cost me a market then he should be paying for me. It's my turn to get something back.

How much would you get though? 60 quid a week and only if you could hide all your savings.

OwlHoot
12th March 2009, 19:49
I have worked constantly from the age of 14 and some of these jobs I had to do were real crap, 100 hours a week in butcher shops type stuff.

As I pointed out to my teacher friend recently my tax input alone has paid for a teacher's wages for the last 6 years.

I work mainly in the financials and if I cannot get a job by Christmas then all my savings will be moved offshore and I will present myself at the labour exchange. I have done my share and if the PM has cost me a market then he should be paying for me. It's my turn to get something back.

I meant to ask about that. These days, apparently, if nothing you're trained for is available they can ask you to work in the "entertainment" industry. So who here would agree to work as a rent boy (or, for the ladies, prossie) if push came to shove?

I presume those who ticked the AndyW option would be up for it :D

minestrone
12th March 2009, 19:50
How much would you get though? 60 quid a week and only if you could hide all your savings.

20 bottles of cider a week that is. There are a few people round here saying that 150 a day is OK just now doing a job, 60 quid a week is ok for doing nowt.

Epiphone
13th March 2009, 12:23
Principles don't pay the bills...

minestrone
13th March 2009, 12:36
60 hours a week breaking chicken for the man in KFC ain't going to pay the bills on this gaff anyway. I used to have principles but when they are putting illegals up in 1 million quid houses then what is the point of them?

Fred Bloggs
13th March 2009, 12:54
I have seen a job advertised ion Jobsite "Senior Mechanical Engineer" £17 per hour. That's taking the mick surely? Glad I'm a Process Engineer and we're all boomed!

fckvwls
13th March 2009, 13:02
That's taking the mick surely? Glad I'm a Process Engineer and we're all boomed!

Does that entail anything more than playing with boxes and arrows in Visio?

minestrone
13th March 2009, 13:07
I have seen a job advertised ion Jobsite "Senior Mechanical Engineer" £17 per hour. That's taking the mick surely? Glad I'm a Process Engineer and we're all boomed!

That is what you get as a mechanical engineer, shocking really, if Brunel was living today he would be on 15 quid an hour using Pro Engineer CAD. 5 years doing Mech Eng then it was of to a masters in IT for me, one of the greatest engineering cities in the world really only had about 30 jobs a year to give to mechanical engineering graduates. Sad really.

sasguru
13th March 2009, 13:11
That is what you get as a mechanical engineer, shocking really, if Brunel was living today he would be on 15 quid an hour using Pro Engineer CAD. 5 years doing Mech Eng then it was of to a masters in IT for me, one of the greatest engineering cities in the world really only had about 30 jobs a year to give to mechanical engineering graduates. Sad really.

Its the decline of the West. But them in power haven't a clue as there's not a single trained scientist among them.

Doggy Styles
13th March 2009, 13:20
Its the decline of the West. But them in power haven't a clue as there's not a single trained scientist among them.What about trained engineers?
Or economists?
Or trained anything?

Peoplesoft bloke
13th March 2009, 13:24
This poll is based on false premise. If I can't get a contract, no-one's likely to give me a job in Tescos either. OTH I don't consider it "beneath me" I have done a load of real tuplie jobs in the past and would again if I had to - the problem with recessions is even all the tulipe jobs are taken.

Andy2
13th March 2009, 13:29
If I can't get a contract I will work as a gigolo