• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What makes a good pub - "Moon Under Water"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes a good pub - "Moon Under Water"

Where I live, and for a few miles around where traditional dry areas, there are no real pubs, just hotel bars. So I have the choice of the wine bar hotel pub or walk 15 minutes to the crossroads type motel and it's ye old England type place. So I buy the times, head of to plastic England for a couple of pints and start reading the following essay...

Moon under water

I never noticed for a couple of minutes that it was written 60 years ago, I never noticed at first it was an Orwell essay, 99% of it is still true.
    Last edited by minestrone; 12 March 2009, 17:16.

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Where I live, and for a few miles around were traditional dry areas, there are no real pubs, just hotel bars. So I have the choice of the wine bar hotel pub or walk 15 minutes to the crossroads type motel and it's ye old England type place. So I buy the times, head of to plastic England for a couple of pints and start reading the following essay...

Moon under water

I never noticed for a couple of minutes that it was written 60 years ago, I never noticed at first it was an Orwell essay, 99% of it is still true.
    Especially the bit where he admits that it doesn't exist.

In the 1970s I did frequent a pub called the Gaiety, just off Kensington High Street, which I most liked because it was the opposite of its name: with a high dark ceiling, long dark red curtains, and leather seats, it had no jukebox, no piped music, no TV, no fruit machines, and none of this damned new Space Invaders stuff. Just talk. I loved it. It really did exist, but of course it didn't last.

Comment

George Orwell's real-life favourite pubs (still standing) were the Newman Arms, Rathbone Street W1, and The Fitzroy Tavern, Charlotte Street W1.

Fitzroy Tavern is a shadow of its former self but the Newman Arms is still a cracker and sells fine pies to boot.

Comment

Ironic that one should avoid any pub with the name "Moon under Water"
        Usually now they are Wetherspoons

Comment

Where I live, and for a few miles around where traditional dry areas, there are no real pubs, just hotel bars. So I have the choice of the wine bar hotel pub or walk 15 minutes to the crossroads type motel and it's ye old England type place. So I buy the times, head of to plastic England for a couple of pints and start reading the following essay...

Moon under water

So, did he ever find a pub that
          has draught stout, open fires, cheap meals, a garden, motherly barmaids and no radio
          Do we know where that is?

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
            Do we know where that is?
            Were I to find such a haven of a place, only a very few fine fellows of my acquaintance would ever hear of it.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Shocked nobody picked up on my post two pint spelling misaykes in the OP.

I think the Moulin Inn gets at least 8 out 10.

Comment

Shocked nobody picked up on my post two pint spelling misaykes in the OP.
                You've had a shocker with the punctuation too but I am not in a pedantic mood today.

Comment

get out of the sh*te hole cities and into the country side and you can find some very nice pubs
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    You've had a shocker with the punctuation too but I am not in a pedantic mood today.
                    Stella. what can, I say?

Comment

Working...
                    X