• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Age on CVs....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age on CVs....

Is it still legal to ask for Date of Birth on CVs? I thought there had been legislation passed that meant you couldnt descriminate on age, so why does everyone ask how old I am? Im heading towards 40 but most people think I look under 30 so was considering downsizing my age...

Visions of mortality....

Oh dear.
    Vieze Oude Man

I tend to put my age, I dont like putting my DOB on them in case that gets in the wrong hands of an unscrupulous thieving git. Like an agent.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

It's legal to ask. I never put mine on and have never been asked. If I was I would probably make a typo.

Comment

why is it always you old ones who have a problem with putting your dob on your cv ?

surely as you omit it, that is proof enough you are too old for the job ?

Milan.

Comment

Because we're afraid of ageism. Let's hope you never have to worry about it.

Comment

Class

Die young and leave a good looking corpse Milan... well, whichever ya can manage anyway
            Vieze Oude Man

Comment

I don't know why you all get so sensitive about this ageism subject

since the year dot in IT we have known it is ageist

as contractors like footballers we always know once we get to a certain age our opportunities for further contracts will be less and less

as we are ALL already too well aware of this we owe it to ourselves to make preparation for the future, this means for example,

sticking at contracting and being open to whatever happens - this may mean trying to get into an area of IT which is not ageist and in which in fact the older guys are even more respected for the wealth of their technical knowledge - these areas of IT do exist !

getting to the mid 30's and going perm somewhere with a view to staying there for the long haul

starting a plan b like myself and MF are doing

doing some of the above in parallel

it's not difficult to forward plan for the eventualities !

Milan.

Comment

Never had a problem with ageism...(honest) and I do put my age/dob on all cv's I submit.

As Milan says, try to set up a Plan B...I have and it will soon come to proper fruition, so my chinning a Project Manager is not as career limiting as some may think.

I've been beavering away (don't tell the missus) for a couple of years on my Plan B and it is now turning into a nice little earner, so with luck and ahem...skill...I won't have to work in IT much longer anyway.

My PM misjudged me anyway...he doesn't realise how lucky he was...He didn't know that I am Sicilian.

Comment

My PM misjudged me anyway...he doesn't realise how lucky he was...He didn't know that I am Sicilian.
                  Compared to the Corsicans, you lot are a bunch of pussycats!
                  Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
                  You know you'll need us!

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                    starting a plan b like myself and MF are doing
                    But some of us actually like IT and don't want to work in a shop.

Comment

Working...
                    X