• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plastic Paddies and Jafakens

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic Paddies and Jafakens

Why do so many people want to pretend they come from somewhere they don’t come from? What’s wrong with being English?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

who is being a plastic paddy ? anyone famous
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      Come St Patrick’s day, it’s difficult to find anyone who’ll admit to not being Irish in some way, shape or form. Fine, I like a party as much as the next man, but that doesn’t mean dressing up in green and pretending I’m a leprechaun or descended from some Irish war of independence veteran.

Actually, my ancestors were German, but I don’t pretend to be German. Nein. Nimmer. Achtung! Schweinhund!

Comment

I'm the next man and I hate parties.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Come St Patrick’s day, it’s difficult to find anyone who’ll admit to not being Irish in some way, shape or form. Fine, I like a party as much as the next man, but that doesn’t mean dressing up in green and pretending I’m a leprechaun or descended from some Irish war of independence veteran.

Actually, my ancestors were German, but I don’t pretend to be German. Nein. Nimmer. Achtung! Schweinhund!
          Oh ja, ich see vot yu meen. to be sure, to be sure
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            On paddies day I drink Dark Mild just to confuse 'em.
            The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              I'm the next man and I hate parties.
              I'm the one after him and I'm laissez faire.

I had an Irish grandmother and my sister was born on St Paddy's day, but no guiness or dressing up as a bog trotter for me.

Comment

I have a rubbish Oirish accent...

Mind you, I have a rubbish Nottingham accent as well.

I was having a last vin chaud with my ski class a few weeks ago when one of the other French women asked me if I had attended a centre of excellence for my accent (the French have load of these things for everything and anything, apparently).

I had to explain Received Pronunciation..

(But I do like Guinness, does that count?)
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
                  On paddies day I drink Dark Mild just to confuse 'em.
                  I'm not Irish but I drink Guiness most of the time anyway. Unless I'm on the Scotch.

Was born in Scotland but I hate Irnbru.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    Mel Gibson, among others. but he likes pretending to be Scottish too, and an Arab.

Comment

Working...
                    X