• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boeing 777 - it's quite safe as long as you are flying to somewhere warm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boeing 777 - it's quite safe as long as you are flying to somewhere warm

I'm only flying Airbus from now on... As an engineer I'm astonished such safety measures are swept aside by Boeing.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I'm only flying Airbus from now on... As an engineer I'm astonished such safety measures are swept aside by Boeing.
    Remember when Concorde had it's one and only accident.

The whole fleet was grounded, even though the accident was considered a freak event.

They had to re-enforce the fuel tanks and undercarriage - and because this meant more weight, they had to redesign a stack of other things to make them lighter (even down to redesigning the seats).

Only then were they allowed to fly again - over a year later.

At the time I was thinking "every time a Boeing falls out of the sky, they don't ground every 747/777/727 in the world"....

But I guess it will be cheaper to pay millions in compensation if people die, then to compensate airlines for billions for taking their planes out of commission for a year.

Comment

Eeek

It's not only flying to somewhere warm, you've got to get back to cold old blighty

Yup, Airbus for me too
      'elf and safety guru

Comment

Are you trying to say that Americans are a bunch of money grabbing and corrupt idiots who would sell their own mother if they thought they could make a buck???
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
          Are you trying to say that Americans are a bunch of money grabbing and corrupt idiots who would sell their own mother if they thought they could make a buck???
          And their in-laws.

Made in America with pride.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The bad part that needs to be replaced was made by Rolls-Royce.

It's the UK aviation board that is trying to play it down - US report on the issue is far more open.

Comment

Hate to upset you guys but the Engine Management Systems are designed by the same company. Also, depending on the type of craft they may even have the same Trent engin as in the 777 ( I think it is on one of the airbuses but maybe wrong here )

If it is going to crash it will crash !
              Last edited by zara_backdog; 14 March 2009, 17:13.
              Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Actually, when I heard yesterday on Radio 4 "Rolls Royce should have a redesigned part available within 12 months" I sort of thought "SH*T!!!! don't go on a 777".
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  Actually, when I heard yesterday on Radio 4 "Rolls Royce should have a redesigned part available within 12 months" I sort of thought "SH*T!!!! don't go on a 777".
                  Although redesigned Trent for the 777 will be reaady by 2010, boeing have stoped alot of orders for new developments and aircraft as they are on the S**t.

Versions of the Trent desinged by RR are in service on the Airbus A330, A340, A380 so do you wish to avoid those as well then!
                  Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
                    Versions of the Trent desinged by RR are in service on the Airbus A330, A340, A380 so do you wish to avoid those as well then!
                    At least an Airbus can land on water when the engines conk out...

... although there isn't much water to be had on final, 300 metres short of 27L at Heathrow...

Also if Wiki can be believed, only the Trent 777 is affected

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...at-exchanger-3

"Other aircraft, or Boeing 777 aircraft powered by GE or Pratt and Whitney engines, are not affected by the problem"
                    Last edited by centurian; 14 March 2009, 17:44.

Comment

Working...
                    X