• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Patronising Peston and dumbing down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patronising Peston and dumbing down

He's at it again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport...lity_myth.html

So the gross sum received by Goldman from the US Federal Reserve, via AIG, was $13bn.

What that shows is Goldman would have been in the deepest, darkest doo-doo, if AIG hadn't been put on life support.
    Is this really the best the bbc has to offer? P*ss poor in my opinion.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

I hate listening to him on the radio. He's full of waffle, 'ah's and 'er's while you're waiting for him to get the point. A c***.

Comment

I won't listen to the BBC anymore - I don't like their agenda. I get a report every two weeks detailing company investments by market sector, and it makes very interesting reading - especially the last two reports.

Example - 10 million pound investment here, 12 million pound investment there, 1000 new jobs here, 750 there...and 700 jobs lost somewhere else.

And guess which one the BBC reports?
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
        I won't listen to the BBC anymore - I don't like their agenda. I get a report every two weeks detailing company investments by market sector, and it makes very interesting reading - especially the last two reports.

Example - 10 million pound investment here, 12 million pound investment there, 1000 new jobs here, 750 there...and 700 jobs lost somewhere else.

And guess which one the BBC reports?
        Does that mean unemployment isn't rising after all?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          Does that mean unemployment isn't rising after all?
          No, that isn't my point - of course it is rising. But it is the way they ignore any good news and for straight for the bad news that turns me off. They clearly have an agenda.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

No, that isn't my point - of course it is rising. But it is the way they ignore any good news and for straight for the bad news that turns me off. They clearly have an agenda.
            They do, as do all the media. I see your point.

But if you were in the place of a newspaper editor or a news broadcaster, would you do anything different?

Comment

But if you were in the place of a newspaper editor or a news broadcaster, would you do anything different?
              Pogle would.
              "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I would report the news. I can just about accept newspapers printing what they want, because it's up to me whether I buy them or not. With the BBC, I have no choice, so it has no business having an agenda.

If it wants to play that game - scrap the license fee.

Comment

I would report the news. I can just about accept newspapers printing what they want, because it's up to me whether I buy them or not. With the BBC, I have no choice, so it has no business having an agenda.

If it wants to play that game - scrap the license fee.
                  Unfortunately media is a business and they need bums on sofas/people buying their papers. The BBC has to compete on sensationalism with the commercial outfits. I've given up reading papers or watching the news - its all about getting the largest number of people's attention by being outrageous.

After all, who would buy a paper whose headline read "We are in a severe recession, but its not the end of the world, no one will starve or die - so count your lucky stars you don't live in some war zone, you spoilt fec-kers".
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Well, I suspect that most people are interested in news that may affect them personally.

Whilst the building of a local Sally Army church may not pose a threat to them, a sudden influx of economic migrants most definitely would.

Hence it's reasonable to expect the news to focus on issues that affect people nationally and locally, such as :

Policing & Crime
                    NHS provisioning
                    Government mandates
                    Economic migrants / Asylum seekers
                    Education standards and changes
                    Local government edicts
                    House prices
                    Cost of living
                    etc...etc...
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X