• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FSA to cap mortgage borrowing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FSA to cap mortgage borrowing

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...borrowing.html

"FSA to cap mortgages at max 3 times salary and min 5% deposit."

Is this not going to drive down the price of houses ?

average salary = 24,000 (Aug 2008)

Max mortgage for a single is now 72,000 + 3600 for the deposit.

I assume that they will allow some contribution from the partner but if it was as when I bought my first house then that was just X1

That would make it £96000 top whack for Mr and Mrs average.

I do not see this working for years - all that will happen is people will not be able to move.
    "All around me I see chaos and confusion, my work here is done...."

Stable

And as it is bound to be posted

Stable door.
    "All around me I see chaos and confusion, my work here is done...."

Comment

Originally posted by bren586 View Post
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...borrowing.html

"FSA to cap mortgages at max 3 times salary and min 5% deposit."

Is this not going to drive down the price of houses ?

average salary = 24,000 (Aug 2008)

Max mortgage for a single is now 72,000 + 3600 for the deposit.

I assume that they will allow some contribution from the partner but if it was as when I bought my first house then that was just X1

That would make it £96000 top whack for Mr and Mrs average.

I do not see this working for years - all that will happen is people will not be able to move.
      Yes it will. Luckily though, house prices are not included in the govt's favourite inflation measure, so we're still not experiencing deflation
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Madness.

My salary is 400 quid a month. I think that should get me a lockup down a lane.

Comment

Originally posted by bren586 View Post
          And as it is bound to be posted

Stable door.
          It is the bumper mortgages that lenders have been prepared to lend (because it is different with low interest rates), along with inflated self-sert mortgages that has kept the housing bubble going for as long as it has.

Vendors hoping that the current downward movement in prices was a temporary blip will have to revise their expectations somewhat.

Comment

I made an offer on a house at the weekend, less than 10% below asking price, cash purchase. Vendors came back 5 minutes later saying they will only accept offers over the asking price.

To buy the house I was looking at would require a salary of over £250K pa. under the new rules.

Comment

Who cares what first time buyers do? It seems only cash buyers can compete.

We need a tax on second homes.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Who cares what first time buyers do? It seems only cash buyers can compete.

More tax is not the solution to every problem.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Possibly.....but that would need to be handled very carefully, otherwise the rental sector would suffer a collapse too because people would just try to pass the tax onto tenants.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Wouldn't that be Stamp Duty? On the assumption that the cost of an average persons first home is under the stamp duty threshold.
                    If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

Working...
                    X