• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Acoustic Guitars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acoustic Guitars

I bought a no name acoustic guitar at the weekend for £500 and was impressed with the sound. In fact I wanted a Martin for about 1200-1500 quid, but there wasn't much difference in the sound.

The guitar I bought is solid Palisander and sounded better than a mahogany Martin. There was a more expensive Martin with Palisander that had a similar quality but wasn't the "Dreadnought" model I was looking for and wasn't deep enough in its sound for what I was looking for. So I stuck with the cheap model.

However I'm wondering whether there is a model out there that would be worth buying.

What about the Martin D28? They didn't have one available.

Any thoughts welcome?
    I'm alright Jack

£500 sounds pricey. Couldn't you buy the strings and fix them to something with nice resonant qualities and save £499?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      I bought a no name acoustic guitar at the weekend for £500 and was impressed with the sound. In fact I wanted a Martin for about 1200-1500 quid, but there wasn't much difference in the sound.

The guitar I bought is solid Palisander and sounded better than a mahogany Martin. There was a more expensive Martin with Palisander that had a similar quality but wasn't the "Dreadnought" model I was looking for and wasn't deep enough in its sound for what I was looking for. So I stuck with the cheap model.

However I'm wondering whether there is a model out there that would be worth buying.

What about the Martin D28? They didn't have one available.

Any thoughts welcome?
      Never let your judgement by influenced by manufacturer - reputation etc the only thing that matters is if you dig the sound of the guitar.

For example the best guitar I ever had was a second hand Eko Rio Grande - it cose me a tenner back in 1980 and had a few offers for it - so if the guitar cant swing - it aint worth a thing - and I dont care what label is on it - remember each guitar is unique.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I bought Mr P a Takamine EF341SC guitar this weekend and even I noticed how better the sound was than his usual (non electric) one.
        I know nothing about guitars and cant play one, but Mr P is like a thingy with two wotsits now and I am upto my eyebrows in brownie points
        I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

I like high end accoustics too...

I've always been a fan of Taylors, I like the fact that they've a good high end and that you can pick one off the shelf and play it, coz they all play excellently.

However, I do like to dig around and find some nice bits and bobs too. I have a lovely old Gibson J50 from the 50's that just booms...
          'elf and safety guru

Comment

I'll stick to my Stradavarius.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I just have a Yamaha APX500 (cost about £200) electro-acoustic (i.e steel-string acoustic with integrated pickup) and been very happy with it.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I was thinking about this earlier, funnily enough.

I have a Korean Martin (Sigma) which sounds great - really deep bass sound from the Rosewood back (rather than the more mid-heavy mahogany).

But it's a bitch to play even after fret dressing etc. Let me know what you decide on! Never played a Yamaha I liked though, always seemed a bit tinny although they were probably budget models to be fair.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                  Never let your judgement by influenced by manufacturer - reputation etc the only thing that matters is if you dig the sound of the guitar.

For example the best guitar I ever had was a second hand Eko Rio Grande - it cose me a tenner back in 1980 and had a few offers for it - so if the guitar cant swing - it aint worth a thing - and I dont care what label is on it - remember each guitar is unique.

Hope that helps.
                  That is very true, I am a drummer and the best kit I ever had was a Premier Royale which cost 120 quid in 1984. Been buying Pearl since but should never have got rid of that Premier kit. Spent 800 on a KORG stage piano recently and I really hate it now.

Comment

really great feedback.

Seems that some of these good names are a bit of a rip off, i.e. worth looking around.

Having tried a lot of guitars, what I found was that many cheaper guitars weren't really in tune, and then at about £500 they were, and then what seems to matter is the type of wood, i.e. solid vs laminated mahogany or palisander etc.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X