• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electric Guitars (Epiphone vs Gibson)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Guitars (Epiphone vs Gibson)

Thinking about buying a jazz/blues guitar, anyone compared the Gibson to the equivalent Epiphone. Is there actually a difference? Looking at the description they seem to be identical, use the same wood etc. Also read a review from an experienced guitarist who said that there isn't a difference.
    I'm alright Jack

There is!

Go try them out.

However, Gibsons Quality has dropped terribly (and it wasn't much cop to start with), while Epiphones has risen. But the pickups and controls are in a different league in the Gibson.

Given a choice though, I'd go Paul Reed Smith every time! You're a contractor, you deserve the best!

'elf and safety guru

Comment

Go and have a play. Pick the one there and then, I mean "the" physical one, regardless of make. You're the one that has to be happy, not the person gawping at the label on the guitar!

Comment

I've always found the Gibson/Epiphone guitars a little to heavy but I love the pure white Les Paul style with the gold metalwork so may pick up one of these soon. I have a Telecaster myself.

I guess it depends on what you are playing. If you are playing loud overdriven rock then I would say not much noticable difference, but if you are playing jazz or require that crisp bluesy crunch then I'd say that decent amplification would be the key rather than the wood as you will have scope to define your own sound.

Obviously the Epiphone guitars are a lot cheaper as well.
        Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

i'm with the pooch on this one. go and try some out. whichever one you fall for, that's the one!

Comment

Originally posted by scotspine View Post
            i'm with the pooch on this one. go and try some out. whichever one you fall for, that's the one!
            Same methodology you recommend for finding a bit on the side then?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              Same methodology you recommend for finding a bit on the side then?

as opposed to someone else's recommendation?

anyhoo, having played both makes extensively, from a detached pov, i'd say it's a bit like cars. if you want a volkswagen, don't buy a skoda sort of thing. but if you're looking at a gibson, there are better on the market.

Comment

Originally posted by scotspine View Post
                as opposed to someone else's recommendation?
                Plenty of pimps on here

Comment

Yes I do want a good sounding Jazz guitar. I'll probably need to compare a "no-name", Epiphone and Gibson.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

The Epiphone ES175 is is based on the Gibson ES-175, an instrument of choice for many jazz and blues musicians. This model features a laminated maple top with mahogany back and sides and is equipped with two alnico classic humbuckers for the dark, rich tone.
                    The Gibson ES-175D electric guitar is a legendary design. The Gibson ES-175 debuted in 1949. With a comfortable body size and stylish pointed cutaway, it quickly became the most popular guitar of the jazz world. The Gibson ES-175 has a plain laminated maple top, Curly laminated maple back and rims. A 1-piece mahogany neck with bound rosewood fingerboard. Two '57 Classic humbuckers translate the body's natural resonance into haunting jazz tones or searing distorted leads. The 175 neck profile is very comfortable while the bound top and back, plus vintage tulip tuners, chrome hardware and pearl split parallelogram inlays make this guitar a comfort to play and watch. The Gibson ES-175 provides the tone and the look that inspires musicians in blues, rock and jazz. Includes Gibson black levant hardshell case.
                    So the difference seems to be the use of mahogany rather than maple.

And if you look around there are Jazz guitars in maple quite a bit less than the Gibson.
                    No name Jazz guitar
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X