• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shouldn't have gone to Iceland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shouldn't have gone to Iceland

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7946287.stm

Councils with millions trapped in failed Icelandic banks might have to write off 90% of their investments, a financial consultant has said.

Mark Horsfield, of Arlingclose which advises more than 50 councils, said market forecasts showed they might receive only 0.5p in the pound.

One hundred and twenty-three councils have millions of pounds frozen in accounts in Iceland.

And even spending watchdog the Audit Commission has cash trapped there.

Heads should be rolling. There's plenty of good people looking for jobs. Swing the axe!

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Councils with millions trapped in failed Icelandic banks might have to write off 90% of their investments, a financial consultant has said.

Mark Horsfield, of Arlingclose which advises more than 50 councils, said market forecasts showed they might receive only 0.5p in the pound.

One hundred and twenty-three councils have millions of pounds frozen in accounts in Iceland.

Heads should be rolling. There's plenty of good people looking for jobs. Swing the axe!
    You couldn't make this up!

Ah well, council tax is about to go up - again!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      You couldn't make this up!

Ah well, council tax is about to go up - again!
      In Greenwich ours is actually static! But then I think we pay the 3rd highest council tax in the UK. In that respect I wish I still lived in Wandsworth.....

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

hmmm... I wonder whom I would be sacking first.

Comment

To be honest it does beggar belief that your council has been playing Russian roulette with your taxes. Surely councils should be only taking in the money they need to provide the services plus maybe a %'age surplus for contingency.

I am not sure of what individual figures we are talking about here but if they have major surplus enough to invest on foreign shores then we are all being charged too much.
          Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
            To be honest it does beggar belief that your council has been playing Russian roulette with your taxes. Surely councils should be only taking in the money they need to provide the services plus maybe a %'age surplus for contingency.

I am not sure of what individual figures we are talking about here but if they have major surplus enough to invest on foreign shores then we are all being charged too much.
            You clearly do not understand cash flow. Are you really a contractor ?

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post

"Local Government Pensions" <-------------- Scrap the f**king lot of 'em!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                You clearly do not understand cash flow. Are you really a contractor ?

Lol!! I understand it very well thankyou. But my point was not one of the way that finance is managed, but of a more moral point that I don't feel that your council should be shifting your money offshore at all.

You have my sympathies that you have trouble accepting the opinions of others.
                Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  In that respect I wish I still lived in Wandsworth.....
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    whs

Comment

Working...
                    X