PDA

View Full Version : Tuition fees

PM-Junkie
17th March 2009, 08:47
Oh dear...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006/feb/09/highereducation.tuitionfees

Tuition fees likely to hit £5k, and possibly as high as £7k. I guess the debts that kids are leaving college with are not deemed to be high enough.

Scotland anyone?

Board Game Geek
17th March 2009, 08:56
Considering that a lot of freshly qualified grads are not going to find any decent jobs, and that those who do (because they did a hard science perhaps) are still going to fight for the 15-20K entry positions in their chosen field, I can see a large amount of students pondering "what's the point ?"

If the amount of jobs increased, and the salaries to boot, then perhaps it may be worth it.

This is not going to leave students better off. Quite the reverse in fact.

It is an effective policy in demotivating our future generations from bothering to get a good education, when the risks increase and yet the carrot at the end of it stays the same size.

Ruprect
17th March 2009, 09:16
Considering that a lot of freshly qualified grads are not going to find any decent jobs, and that those who do (because they did a hard science perhaps) are still going to fight for the 15-20K entry positions in their chosen field, I can see a large amount of students pondering "what's the point ?"

If the amount of jobs increased, and the salaries to boot, then perhaps it may be worth it.

This is not going to leave students better off. Quite the reverse in fact.

It is an effective policy in demotivating our future generations from bothering to get a good education, when the risks increase and yet the carrot at the end of it stays the same size.

Keep the populus stupid. Its the way forward.

sasguru
17th March 2009, 09:19
Keep the populus stupid. Its the way forward.

:spel populace.

Quite.

pmeswani
17th March 2009, 09:20
Oh dear...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006/feb/09/highereducation.tuitionfees

Tuition fees likely to hit £5k, and possibly as high as £7k. I guess the debts that kids are leaving college with are not deemed to be high enough.

Scotland anyone?

The problem with our education system isn't just the cost of studying and the amounts of debts the students will incur, it's the numpty qualifications that are considered which will lead to getting the students jobs in McDonalds (and similar organisations).

Moscow Mule
17th March 2009, 09:23
There really is no point in doing "soft" degrees any more.

I'd even go so far as to say there's no point in doing a "non-vocational" (by vocational I mean, Nursing, Teaching, Medicine, Architecture etc) degree unless you know what you want to do with it.

The trouble is, at the age you decide what you want to do at university most kids haven't given a second thought to what they want to do with their lives.

stingman123
17th March 2009, 09:26
The problem with our education system isn't just the cost of studying and the amounts of debts the students will incur, it's the numpty qualifications that are considered which will lead to getting the students jobs in McDonalds (and similar organisations).

HEY.....Leave the golden teats alone!

Ruprect
17th March 2009, 09:27
:spel populace.

Quite.

:emb