• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Only a wizard can help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only a wizard can help

Translation of role description I just received in e-mail;

Agent is seeking a planner/MS Projects WIZARD!

Planner; must be a real MS-PROJECT WIZARD! ClientCo has set up a planning system. It’s complex; every project has it’s own structure: capacity, shifting timelines; this system has really strange characteristics.

Job is quite operational, mostly planning and monitoring. Maybe more analysis in future, but no guarantee.

***** is op zoek voor een relatie in Amsterdam naar een Planner, MS-projects wizard

Planner: moet echt een MS-PROJECTS-TOVENAAR zijn. Klant heeft onlangs een planning systeem opgezet. Is complex, ieder project heeft eigen structuur: capaciteit, schuiven van tijd, het systeem heeft echt opmerkelijke eigenschappen.

De opdracht is vrij operationeel, voornamelijk planning doornemen en bijhouden. Wellicht in de toekomst meer analyse, maar is geen garantie.

Does this actually mean ‘ClientCo is up tulip creek without a paddle, will somebody please come and help?’ Perhaps they sacked/made redundant the one person who knew how their planning system worked and now they don’t know where to start?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Do you think that they would accept a sorcerer instead? Maybe a conjurer?
    I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
      Perhaps; they’ve obviously exhausted the experts and gurus and the only option left is supernatural gifts. The word bargepole comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
        Is that a bog-standard or an MS sorcerer?

Comment

Pardon me but after reading the description, it looks like they're looking for someone to drive the software, not run the projects.

What's the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Is that a bog-standard or an MS sorcerer?
            There's nothing bog-standard about being a sorcerer. I'd say that a bog-standard conjurer would be far more plausible. Ten a penny those fellas. In fact we have several working here...
            I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

In my younger Dungeoning and Dragoning days I was a level something Fighter/Mage so I could probabaly resolve this for them.

I can supply my own 20 sided dice although my overall delivery strategy, being turn based... would be a little less efficient than that of a normal PM.
              Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Pardon me but after reading the description, it looks like they're looking for someone to drive the software, not run the projects.

What's the problem?
                Well if they are looking in the direction of a tester for that then they really are clueless

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  Well if they are looking in the direction of a tester for that then they really are clueless
                  I'm sure I could knacker it for them and then provide a concise but complete report on the system's (lack of) quality and the risks of implementation.

Comment

Working...
                  X