• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Temporary broadband?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temporary broadband?

Seems we're getting the house we want to rent, just called my broadband provider and as expected was told "it can take up to 2-3 weeks for everything to be sorted out".

I work from home, communicating with my team using IM/email/skype so I'm virtually unable to work without a reliable broadband connection. It's that critical that I'd consider booking into a hotel for a week and take my desktop with me, simply to guarantee connection. I can handle knowing it will take 3 weeks, as long as the estimate is reliable - I can plan around it. But that sounds a bit unlikely

So what's the best way to get a temporary internet connection of decent speed, for maybe 1 month tops? I'm wary of using my mobile phone as I'm sure the cost could mount up very fast... I do lots of work on remote SVN servers so my bandwidth will be quite high, I don't have a tariff designed to be cheap for this.

Thanks for any tips.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Yeah, when I moved with Tiscali they said 3 weeks.
    When I moved with BT broadband it was same day.

Perhaps try cancelling existing contract and get a new one setup at the new place with a different provider?
    Originally posted by cailin maith
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Worth checking with some of the neighbours? see if they have a wireless connection you could jump on in return for paying their ISP fee for the month?

Comment

I'm with Be...but you'd need to come to Accrington to use it. And then only from 9:30-5:00 (my office hours).
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
          I'm with Be...but you'd need to come to Accrington to use it. And then only from 9:30-5:00 (my office hours).
          My Uncle still lives in Accrington. On Fountain Street.

Comment

Wait a few years until the UK has pay as you go WiMAX.

HTH
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              My Uncle still lives in Accrington. On Fountain Street.
              I went there once. Seemed like a small gene pool.

Comment

I moved into my new place on 6th March and the BT line was active from the 9th, but the line needed to be active for 24 hours to request broadband.

So, I requested Be broadband on 10th and was told the same 2-3 week timeframe...but I received the modem and was connected on 14th.

Perhaps you could get the BT line active before you move in...?
                Gas masks don't fit snails...

Comment

Can you not get a 3G laptop dongle thing that has been mentioned previous on CUK somewhere.
                  Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

near a starbucks?

Comment

Working...
                    X