• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

F1 stupid rule change

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F1 stupid rule change

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/7948455.stm

1. The champion could be crowned with half the season still left to run... that will go down well with sponsors.

2. Potentially there could be a world champion who only managed to finish 2 races.

3. If it's such a good idea why wasn't this introduced 50 years ago?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

It replaces a system where the winner might never have won a race.

I think it makes it much better, brings back the racing again. Really F1 has been floundering for quite a long time, races are more often than not very dull.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

1. The champion could be crowned with half the season still left to run... that will go down well with sponsors.

2. Potentially there could be a world champion who only managed to finish 2 races.

Yeah it doesn't make sense to me. When I were a lad watching Mansell, Prost, Senna et al. they had a rule where drivers took their best 11 results out of the 16 races. That was much more interesting and let to all sorts of permutations down to the last few races. Don't know why they just bring that one back.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

It might make a few more races interesting. Last year Hamilton took his foot off the pedal in a few races towards the end, deciding to play the points games instead.

On the other hand, there was one race where Hamilton qualified 15th, but drove a blinder and overtook about 7 cars on the track to get up into the points - points that ultimately gave him the championship.

So this year, once a championship contender falls behind in a race, you may see them suddenly decide to cruise along and save the engine/gearbox as the difference between 4th and 14th will be virtually zero.

Comment

It will definitely make motor racing more interesting. Well done Bernie !!!

Comment

This change is wide open to abuse, it's entirely possible for the title to be won by a driver that only finishes a few races but has more wins than anyone else.
            This will allow teams to turn up but retire early on tracks where they feel they have next to no chance and then have less miles on their engines and gearboxes for tracks where they feel competitive. It will also make team tactics and team orders essential rather than covert so it will be obvious from a few races in that some drivers may as well not even be entered.

At least with an overall points system the teams are rewarded for actually trying to be consistant and competitive and one off events like crashes (deliberate or accidental) aren't major potential title losing events.

Comment

And F1 will never be interesting again without Murray Walker. Go go go!

Comment

But there are some permutations that the BBC haven't reported. The drivers have to wear crotchless panties, peephole bras and thigh length leather boots with 8" stilleto heels. Those drivers who play for points will find themselves being spanked on the bottom with a colander by an old man wearing a latex gimp mask.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  The users have to wear crotchless panties, peephole bras and thigh length leather boots with 8" stilleto heels. Those users who play for points will find themselves being spanked on the bottom with a colander by an old man wearing a latex gimp mask.
                  They should include your (slightly altered by me) clause in software licenses. You know, the things you're supposed to read before you agree to install a software product. I wonder how long it would be before someone in the whole wide world spotted it and didn't press 'agree' anyway?

Comment

If there are no rewards for finishing in 2nd backwards, will that not just mean that say Lewis or Rikonnon are running in 10th and its 20laps before the end of the race, they will just think to themselves, im not going to get anything here so i might as well retire and save my engine for the next race.

I can just see loads of cars pulling out because its pointless for them to run from 5th onwards as they have little chance of winning the race.

Might aswell wait for the next race and try again to start in a better position or not be low down the grid.

Comment

Working...
                    X