• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why Vista is tulip - parental controls.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Vista is tulip - parental controls.

<rant>

The kids are getting old enough to use the PC at home, so I thought I'd set up some access restrictions.

Looked through help. "Great, Vista has parental controls built-in," I thought.

But they're useless. All you can do is set up the time of day that they can access (in 1 hour granularity) e.g. 4-5pm, etc. Very nice graphical interface for that, but not what 90% of parents probably need/want.

There's no option to configure, e.g. kid can use the PC for 45 minutes each day or 3 hours a week, etc. doesn't really matter when. WHICH IS WHAT MOST PARENTS WANT.

Ahhhhhhhh.

I googled and there are loads of forums with parents moaning about exactly this issue.

Why go to all the trouble of specifying and implementing a feature, and then missing the most important part?

</rant>

I think the simplest answer for you is that vista is tulip because, well, it's a Microsoft product. If you want something that works from a company that actually listens to its customers, probably best to avoid microsoft
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

My 8 year -old uses the PC when ever she wants, the only parental control I use is me or Mr P. The computer is in the living room and we can see what she's up to - usually creating a invitation or PP presentation.
      She can Google and does when she wants to look something up or get a picture or something.

In the *cough* years I've been using a PC I have never come across anything unsavoury by accident - or on purpose for that matter!

My daughter knows not to sign up for anything unless she speaks to me first and not to give out any personal details.
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
        I think the simplest answer for you is that vista is tulip because, well, it's a Microsoft product. If you want something that works from a company that actually listens to its customers, probably best to avoid microsoft
        That's the biggest load of crap I ever heard, generalising everything from a humongous corporation as the same. SQLServer is a great DB, Visual Studio is the best development environment around, and .NET is a wonderful set of technologies... C# in particular is a great language.

I guess if all you do is type type documents and email people all day you might have a different view, but it's moronic to say all of the 100s of apps they release are crap just because they're from MS.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          That's the biggest load of crap I ever heard, generalising everything from a humongous corporation as the same. SQLServer is a great DB, Visual Studio is the best development environment around, and .NET is a wonderful set of technologies... C# in particular is a great language.

I guess if all you do is type type documents and email people all day you might have a different view, but it's moronic to say all of the 100s of apps they release are crap just because they're from MS.
          ...and even then, Word is one of the best multi purpose document editors there is and Outlook is a very capable email application.

Vista does a little bit of everything out of the box, if it did too much you'd flippin sue it. The same people moaning are the reason why many features are incomplete. Microsoft can't produce full net nany features or the net nanny software makers will sue them.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
            <rant>

I googled and there are loads of forums with parents moaning about exactly this issue.
            Sounds like an idea for a plan B then. Get cracking.
            The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

WHS!

Comment

Visual Studio is the best development environment around
                You need to get out more.
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by London75 View Post
                  ...and even then, Word is one of the best multi purpose document editors there is and Outlook is a very capable email application.
                  I agree. I have to use MS Office a lot. Try using Adobe products (and their non-support for years-old bugs).

Whether or not you think Vista is a turkey (and I do) it doesn't mean everything else from MS is.

Comment

Why not get a proper OS like linux. The latest Fedora is great.

[Lightng ducks and waits for incoming]

Comment

Working...
                    X