• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

On shoring

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On shoring

'Tractor mate of mine is to be benched at the end of this month. Had a good run at a local council, so can't complain too loudly.

Rang him last night, and he was doing handover work to some web developers just flown in from India. 75% cheaper apparently. True story.

I'd say he has cause to complain now methinks. Imagine if this was happening at the coal face, literally.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Why does he not go and see his MP?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Why does he not go and see his MP?
      the press
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Exactly the same is happening to me. I've to train my replacement and I leave on Friday. All of my stuff is held in an Access database I threw together and it produces everyhing that I was/have been required to do over the past 18 months with this company. My Indian based replacement has no Excel or Access experience and I don't know what he is supposed to do when the VBA that this lot runs on hits an error. But by then it won't be my problem.

Pretty much al of the contractors in our building have been given their marching orders and are leaving this Friday. The building looks like Bangalore
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

So the "restricting non-EU foreign workers immigration policy" is really working well then?
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
            Pretty much al of the contractors in our building have been given their marching orders and are leaving this Friday. The building looks like Bangalore
            "The same" lol. Only for me its next Friday.

Comment

Same here, few weeks left, i can see a pattern emerging. If i didnt know any better i'd say our government isn't looking after us, but surely not?

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                Same here, few weeks left, i can see a pattern emerging. If i didnt know any better i'd say our government isn't looking after us, but surely not?
                So there aren't enough gigs to go around. Then we import cheap labour. so there's even less gigs to go around.

Plenty of work to go around to mop up all the mess afterwards, but can we wait that long?
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Exactly the same is happening to me. I've to train my replacement and I leave on Friday. All of my stuff is held in an Access database I threw together and it produces everyhing that I was/have been required to do over the past 18 months with this company. My Indian based replacement has no Excel or Access experience and I don't know what he is supposed to do when the VBA that this lot runs on hits an error. But by then it won't be my problem.
                  I never understand this, isn't the whole point that Indian cheapness allows you to get people with decent skills for a cheaper price? Or at least, experience in the relevant areas if not actual 'skill'.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I feel for you, and all the other that are experiencing this.

My experience of working with 4 major Indian systems integrators is that while they are cheaper, and whilst they are technically very good and polite - they simply have no capacity for management, or the owning and resolving of their own problems, or the constitution to really step up to the plate and deliver when the sh*t really hits the fan. Which it does - often - especially if ***** are involved.

I once had an Indian working for me in a SAP functional support role who sat on a key technical issue for two days before escalating it because he "didn't want to disturb me". I only became aware of it when the programme at large started quoting SLAs to me when there was no response from aforementioned Indian when the issue was raised.

I have many other stories of corners that I have seen cut by the Indian IT workforce, the implications of which would make the professional SAP community shudder.

But worse of all - their food always seems to stink out the entire floor when they use the microwave.
                    Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Working...
                    X