• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One for the Windows gurus - command line stuff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One for the Windows gurus - command line stuff

Anyone know how to uninstall devices via the command line (on Windows XP)?

Got a problem with my new TomTom that I can solve by uninstalling the "generic volume" from the device manager panel, but I want to script it and combine it with an autorun file so it will happen automatically when i plug in the tomtom

...<dream>....why cant the world use a real OS like Solaris?.....</dream>

"Keep them at 24,000"
    "No, feet"

I think DevCon is what you're after.

The DevCon utility is a command-line utility that acts as an alternative to Device Manager. Using DevCon, you can enable, disable, restart, update, remove, and query individual devices or groups of devices. DevCon also provides information that is relevant to the driver developer and is not available in Device Manager.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
      I think DevCon is what you're after.
      Looks like what I'm after

Nice one, cheers.

"Keep them at 24,000"
      "No, feet"

Comment

How I fixed my TomTom

This may be of interest to a fairly small audience, but in the interests of spreading the knowledge wherever possible, I've solved my TomTom problem with the use of DevCon and AutoHotKey (thanks to voodooflux for the DevCon tipoff)

Problem:
        Brand new TomTom Go 540 Live, Windows XP. TomTom Home 2 application (latest rev from website) couldn't see the TomTom unit when started.

Solution:
        Wrote an AutoHotKey script which does the following:
        - starts the TomTom Home 2 application
        - makes a call to DevCon utility to remove the non-function "generic volume" device that appears when the unit is connected.
        - prompts the user to restart the TomTom device
        - TomTom Home app now correctly recognises device.

Compiled the whole lot into an exe, pop it on the desktop and Bob, as they say, is your mother's brother.

I think that deserves a banana

If anyone wants a copy of the AHK script, links, whatever, drop me a PM.

"Keep them at 24,000"
        "No, feet"

Comment

TCL, thanks for the heads-up on Autohotkey, it's great!

Comment

Working...
          X