• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IBM to acquire SUN Microsystems?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBM to acquire SUN Microsystems?

Holy tulip!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...S3E&refer=news

And you don't believe the world is coming to an end?

1 day to go...
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      And you don't believe the world is coming to an end?
      I do believe, honest ...

Comment

That'll be the rest of Sun heading off to India then....
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
          That'll be the rest of Sun heading off to India then....
          Apparently most of them already there and soon rest of them alongwith Gosling would be heading there ....

Comment

THis should be stopped, they have been trying it for years.

IBM shag up everything they touch.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Maybe, but from a datacentre OS/infrastructure point of view IBM have had the edge in reliability and performance over Sun for some years - albeit at a premium in cost.

Can't quite see how they are going to integrate the midrange product lines though unless they are not planning to, and are solely interested in Suns software, R&D, professional services and manufacturing capacity. Unfortunately, if this is the case it may be the end for all of those sci-fi server cabinet designs that Sun are so good a designing.

Whatever the case... I'd still have Sun products propping up my infrastructure than HP and their woeful service division any day of the week.
              Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

I wonder their interest in Sun is based on its servers,hardware and infrastructure stuff or Software side (R&D, Java , Enterprise App Servers e.t.c) fancies them more......

Comment

I see it from an application point of view. SUN have at last built up a pretty decent software range, IBM would just get shot of them, it would take mySQL and the rest would be binned forcing yet more onto the steaming pile of crap that is websphere.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

If you read the article you'll see that SUN has been out with its begging bowl asking for someone to buy them. IBM has not been "trying it for years". SUN has been shooting themselves in the foot for years and now has no credible roadmap.

Furthermore, IBM has made great gains over SUN from a hardware perspective in the last few years and now considers that SUN's hardware is a bit of a joke. As a result IBM has been steadily converting SUN customers to IBM.

I suspect that the acquisition will be about enabling SUN's remaining customers to move to IBM, probably by porting Solaris and SUN's range of software to Power.

SUN hardware will fade away over the next few years (as HP did with Alpha and IBM did with Sequent)

Comment

Working...
                    X