• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Certifications and Trainings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Certifications and Trainings

Hi GUYS...

ClientCo has a "Technical certifications initiative programme" that apparently involves training of employees for different certifications.

As a contractor, Im not eligible and Im not big fan of attending class based courses (coz they are so expensive and i prefer self study), but the certification which im interested in is mainly based on study manuals distributed during these courses.

Is it possible that I'll request ClientCo that i would like to buy these study manuals (but not attend courses).

Im wondering, if anyone here faced this scenario before?

Originally posted by denver2k View Post
    Is it possible that I'll request ClientCo that i would like to buy these study manuals (but not attend courses).
    Or... Finding someone on site with a copy, taking it to ClientCo's photocopier and billing them for the time it takes you to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      Or... Finding someone on site with a copy, taking it to ClientCo's photocopier and billing them for the time it takes you to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        Or... Finding someone on site with a copy, taking it

Corrected above
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

WHS

Most people never look at the training materials after they do the course.

After about a week, go to someones desk, run your finger along the book, rub the dust off your finger, then ask if they would mind if you had a look at the materials.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by denver2k View Post
            ....Is it possible that I'll request ClientCo that i would like to buy these study manuals (but not attend courses)...
            Why wouldn't it be possible to request anything from your clientco. Speech impediment?
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

There are two benefits to the use of contract workers.

1. Flexibility.
              The contractor gets more options about where to go on holiday, when to go on holiday, how long to go on holiday. Apparently the employer gets some benefits too.

2. Skills Exchange.
              One party in the arrangement has more knowledge and information assets (training materials, manual, software) than than the other party. Hence it is in the interests of the contractor to transfer as much of both in their direction as possible. Apparently some employers believe some knowledge transfer can move the other way too - this is true but mostly consists of contractors telling permies how to become contractors.
              Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                There are two benefits to the use of contract workers.

1. Flexibility.
                The contractor gets more options about where to go on holiday, when to go on holiday, how long to go on holiday. Apparently the employer gets some benefits too.

2. Skills Exchange.
                One party in the arrangement has more knowledge and information assets (training materials, manual, software) than than the other party. Hence it is in the interests of the contractor to transfer as much of both in their direction as possible. Apparently some employers believe some knowledge transfer can move the other way too - this is true but mostly consists of contractors telling permies how to become contractors.
                WHS
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                X