• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oxymoron?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oxymoron?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7950390.stm

Affluent 'facing debt problems'

How can anyone in debt be classed as affluent?

If you are affluent, you can pay your debts, no?

"A regional breakdown showed that the highest levels of debt were generally in the south of England - at an average of £29,000, but the over 60s in Wales had one of the highest debt levels in the UK at £25,947."

What are the old folk in Wales up too
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Affluent is BBC code for non-chav/white/middle class, so probably people with overstretched mortgages and credit card limits.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
        "A regional breakdown showed that the highest levels of debt were generally in the south of England - at an average of £29,000, but the over 60s in Wales had one of the highest debt levels in the UK at £25,947."

What are the old folk in Wales up too
        Zeity?

Comment

WTF?
          Twenty nine thousand quid on credit cards and personal loans? That’s f**king lunacy. I didn’t realise how big the problem really is as I thought most people were fairly sensible with money and there were just a few idiots around, but that’s an unfathomable amount of debt to build up if you’re not buying a house.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Should say "apparently affluent" ...

People like me! Very good at spending other people's money!

Comment

I wonder if there are any maxed out contractors here feeling the pinch

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                WTF?
                Twenty nine thousand quid on credit cards and personal loans? That’s f**king lunacy. I didn’t realise how big the problem really is as I thought most people were fairly sensible with money and there were just a few idiots around, but that’s an unfathomable amount of debt to build up if you’re not buying a house.
                £29k is small. People are going bust for plenty more than that these days:
                http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...html?t=1521833

Comment

Kids stuff

Every man, woman and child is in debt to me for about £35,000 thanks to my prudence.
                  If you've got a problem and no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire...Gordon Brown ...( cue music )

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    £29k is small. People are going bust for plenty more than that these days:
                    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...html?t=1521833
                    ‘Approx 43,000.00 over 16 Credit / Store Cards and 1 Loan.’

‘ 42k accumalated over 18 years. No excuses,lived beyond my means’

‘ £17k .... thought overtime was guaranteed.... and then the bubble burst!’

‘Just shy of 151K of unsecured debt. All on credit cards, loans and overdrafts. Got nothing to show for it either!?’

‘just finished filling out the forms for the 6th march, my debt totals 30,000 and my hubbys is 45,000. Cant believe how it mounts up, it is our fault, reckless spending thinking things would be ok, then all of a sudden you cant meet the payments.’

F**king hell. All followed Gordon's fine example did they?

Has there been a complete detachment from reality in the UK?

Didn't people realise that the nature of any debt is that you have to pay it back with interest?

I'd like to know what the hell people were buying wth all this debt. Lots of bling-bling jewellery and designer clothing?
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X