• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What the British people and the economy need right now...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the British people and the economy need right now...

...are higher taxes.

http://www.petrolprices.com/blog/dut...weeks-110.html

That should help those still working.
    If you've got a problem and no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire...Gordon Brown ...( cue music )

This was a typical stealth tax by Labour. Drop VAT by 15% then say you have to raise petrol by 2p a litre to compensate. Now will the petrol tax be reduced when the VAT rate is returned to 17.5% ? I think you guessed correctly !!

.. and on top of that the price rises again because the 17.5% is on top of the 2p rise !!

Comment

Despite the credit crunch the roads still seem full. About time they were emptied a bit.

Comment

The rise in fuel duty is to combat Climate Change and reduce congestion. I think you'll all agree it makes sense to pay more and more.
        If you've got a problem and no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire...Gordon Brown ...( cue music )

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Brown View Post
          The rise in fuel duty is to combat Climate Change and reduce congestion. I think you'll all agree it makes sense to pay more and more.
          The greens can go f**k themselves. But I like open roads....

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
            This was a typical stealth tax by Labour. Drop VAT by 15% then say you have to raise petrol by 2p a litre to compensate. Now will the petrol tax be reduced when the VAT rate is returned to 17.5% ?
            You can forget about 17.5% VAT - it will be 21% (European standard). That's why they chose VAT to drop.
            Bored.

Comment

Petrol prices have plummeted since last year. Even with 2p a litre price rise, you're still at least 20p a litre better off. Although that may all be a conspiracy between the government and the oil companies. And the banks. And the Israelis. And the lizards.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                Petrol prices have plummeted since last year. Even with 2p a litre price rise, you're still at least 20p a litre better off. Although that may all be a conspiracy between the government and the oil companies. And the banks. And the Israelis. And the lizards.
                You forgot my lot!
                (Or was that intentional.....?)

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Brown View Post
                  ...are higher taxes.

http://www.petrolprices.com/blog/dut...weeks-110.html

That should help those still working.
                  We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war."
                  "Yessir!"

"Get up in a crate, Perkins."
                  "Sah!"

"Pop over to Bremen."
                  "Yessir!"

"Take a shufti."
                  "Right sir!"

"And don't come back."
                  "Yessir"

"Goodbye, Perkins. God, I wish I was going too."
                  "Goodbye Sah! – Or is it au revoir?"

"No, Perkins."
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war."
                    "Yessir!"

"Get up in a crate, Perkins."
                    "Sah!"

"Pop over to Bremen."
                    "Yessir!"

"Take a shufti."
                    "Right sir!"

"And don't come back."
                    "Yessir"

"Goodbye, Perkins. God, I wish I was going too."
                    "Goodbye Sah! – Or is it au revoir?"

"No, Perkins."