PDA

View Full Version : On snoring

Platypus
18th March 2009, 21:30
Sometimes I snore like a hog (usually after a good few beers) and my GF, bless her, resists the temptation to smother me to death and simply decamps to the spare room.

Any suggested/recommended cures for snoring?

:smile

voodooflux
18th March 2009, 21:42

http://www.britishsnoring.co.uk/snoring/what_can_i_do_to_stop_snoring.php :tongue

lightng
18th March 2009, 21:50
Cure with 100% success rate ...

:suicide:

BrollyBonce
18th March 2009, 22:15
Sometimes I snore like a hog (usually after a good few beers) and my GF, bless her, resists the temptation to smother me to death and simply decamps to the spare room.

:smileThe problem is not your snoring, it is her reaction.

Tell her you are fed up with her snoring and you intend to divorce her about it. That you cannot suffer any longer.

When the tears have stopped, relent.

Next.

OwlHoot
18th March 2009, 22:30

Obviously use a firm pillow of just the right thickness, to minimize awkward head angles that might promote snoring.

Other than that, seriously I wonder if these days one can buy noise cancelling speakers that detect your snoring and emit an anti-snoring sound to cancel it out.

I know someone who sleeps without a pillow at all! I don't know if he snores, but it's a wonder he doesn't walk around like Quasimodo with his neck cricked downward all those hours at night.

Churchill
19th March 2009, 08:09

Cut down on the booze.
(I also snore like a swampybeast when I've had a "few"!)

Either that or make sure that she's too pissed out of her mind to worry! That way she either spends all night pukeing or is comatose.

Simples!

FSM with Cheddar
19th March 2009, 08:44
Go to the doctor, there are a few different things they can do. I use a nasal inhaler, which keeps things unblocked.

You can also get a snoring watch, that emits a little electric shock when you snore. It's not enough to wake you, but makes you move into another position so the snorning stops.

HTH

Coalman
19th March 2009, 08:56
I snored a lot, went to the doctor to check it out. Was diagnosed with sleep apnea (not a major problem but worth checking out).

Solution - I had my tonsils removed at 36 - worked a treat!

BrilloPad
19th March 2009, 08:58
Are you overweight? Mrs BP used to snore alot until she lost weight. I used to run 2 fans all night to create some white noise........

Pogle
19th March 2009, 08:59
I snored a lot, went to the doctor to check it out. Was diagnosed with sleep apnea (not a major problem but worth checking out).

Solution - I had my tonsils removed at 36 - worked a treat!

Your avatar makes my head hurt :eyes

Churchill
19th March 2009, 09:01
Are you overweight? Mrs BP used to snore alot until she lost weight. I used to run 2 fans all night to create some white noise........

Strictly speaking the two fans won't generate "white noise". Record the noise and look at the waveform in Adobe Audition or some such. There will be patterns in the waveform.

Bagpuss
19th March 2009, 09:28
This wouldn't happen if your gf offshored her bedroom requirements

KentPhilip
19th March 2009, 09:35
Noise cancelling headphones?

But personally I would smother you (if I was the girlfriend) :D

Pickle2
19th March 2009, 09:46
sleep on your stomach

Jog On
19th March 2009, 09:48
Breathe Right Nasal Strips (http://www.breatheright.com/)

Work for me - haven't had a 'decamp to the spare room' situation since.

zara_backdog
19th March 2009, 10:43
As a lot of people have said here - go to the GP to to see if there is an underlying cause for the snoring.

Hubby use to really snore loudly and point which his mother and sister use to joke about.

Oh holiday once the night porter knocked on the door about 3am to advise me there had been noise complaints from our room.

Also, it was so loud one night I slept downstairs but is still made the windows rattle.

Anyway, after taking some antibiotics for a week - apart form the 'after a drink' snoring but improved 90%.

Francko
19th March 2009, 10:45

You should let her sleep with somebody else*. This process is called "off snoring" or also "best snoring" :laugh

* Just a joke. No pun intended. :happy

fckvwls
19th March 2009, 10:46
Oh holiday once the night porter knocked on the door about 3am to advise me there had been noise complaints from our room.

I get that a lot. They don't make headboards as strong as they used to :ohwell

NotAllThere
19th March 2009, 10:50
My wife used to grab my nose. Now I've developed the preternatural ability to turn on my side as soon as she tries - without waking up.

But if I've been on the piss, then she kindly decamps to the spare-room. And spends the next morning laughing at my hangover.

Ruprect
19th March 2009, 11:15
Strictly speaking the two fans won't generate "white noise". Record the noise and look at the waveform in Adobe Audition or some such. There will be patterns in the waveform.

If xeno was still here you would surely have received some geek points for that.

Mich the Tester
19th March 2009, 11:42
http://www.britishsnoring.co.uk/snoring/what_can_i_do_to_stop_snoring.php :tongue

Your body mass index is : 30.55 (obese)

Ruprect
19th March 2009, 12:24

29. Overweight :o

It didn't tell me what my ideal height would be though :rolleyes:

Mich the Tester
19th March 2009, 12:28
29. Overweight :o

It didn't tell me what my ideal height would be though :rolleyes:BMI says nothing about whether you're fat. Most sportspeople have a high BMI, as do many manual labourers, even though they're actually very fit. However, it seems to be a very good indicator of snoring, regardless of fat levels. Which is perhaps a bit of a downer for women who like muscular men.

Churchill
19th March 2009, 12:29

27! Still overweight though! ;)

dezze
19th March 2009, 13:10
When I snore it makes a sound like loud machinery (so Mrs D says). According to friends, this was also true when I was much younger (and slimmer). After the wife threatening to cut off body parts I'd rather keep, I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with severe sleep apnoea.

At night, I now have to wear a rather silly looking mask over my nose and mouth, attached to CPAP (or may be APAP) machine that basically keeps my airway open. I have to do this to keep my driving license.

The plus side is that it transformed my life from being knackered all the time (including regularly falling asleep when stopped in traffic) to having lots more energy.

It's worth checking out, but be aware there may be some drawbacks, such as having to inform the DVLA and your Primary Care Trust may not yet fund the equipment (£500+). However, NICE guidelines say they should, so do as I did and argue the case.

Drewster
19th March 2009, 13:18
..........At night, I now have to wear a rather silly looking mask over my nose and mouth.......

and my wife makes me sleep naked by the door, but she does beat me at least twice a night.....

BrianSnail
19th March 2009, 14:42
GF Snail says I never snore when she's had a couple of drinks....

:rolleyes:

Platypus
19th March 2009, 14:49
Yes but GF Platypus is on the wagon at the moment :mad:

Ruprect
19th March 2009, 16:44
BMI says nothing about whether you're fat. Most sportspeople have a high BMI, as do many manual labourers, even though they're actually very fit. However, it seems to be a very good indicator of snoring, regardless of fat levels. Which is perhaps a bit of a downer for women who like muscular men.

That's what I tell myself ;)

Phil Vickery is obese according to his BMI, I think most of my weight must be muscle :rolleyes:

cailin maith
19th March 2009, 17:48
That's what I tell myself ;)

Phil Vickery is obese according to his BMI, I think most of my weight must be muscle :rolleyes:

Yum, Phil Vickery...