• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MSI Raid Card

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI Raid Card

I have a server running FreeNAS, which contains an MSI Raid card with 2 500Gb SATA Discs, configured as Raid 1 (duplicate discs) but I am running out of space.

Could I replace one of the 500Gb discs with a 1TB disc, and rebuild the array - then wipe the removed 500gb disc and get in back in the array as an extension of the original 500gb disc, therefore giving me a 1Tb array
    Last edited by FarmerPalmer; 18 March 2009, 22:08.

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
    I have a server running FreeNAS, which contains an MSI Raid card with 2 500Gb SATA Discs, configured as Raid 1 (duplicate discs) but I am running out of space.

Could I replace one of the 500Gb discs with a 1TB disc, and rebuild the array - then wipe the removed 500gb disc and get in back in the array as an extension of the original 500gb disc, therefore giving me a 1Tb array
    I.e., can it handle:

[500Gb physical + 500Gb physical controlled as one 1Tb logical drive] <-- RAID1 --> [a physical 1Tb drive as a 1Tb logical drive]

FreeNAS using GEOM and GEOM can use virtualised (as opposed to physical) drives so it ought to be possible.

How about getting 2 x 1Tb drive and having RAID1 on:

[500Gb physical + 1Tb physical controlled as one 1.5Tb logical drive] <-- RAID1 --> [500Gb physical + 1Tb physical controlled as one 1.5Tb logical drive]

and then not having to worry?

Comment

You'll have to google, but I dont think most home RAID setups allow you to extend a RAID array in this way. Commercial ones do.

Google though, you might be lucky.

TM

Comment

Your problem is that the disks are mirrored and therfore you will need two 1TB disks in order to extend the array with a backup, rebuild, restore job in order to get the array extended.
        www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

I don't think you can. You're running a software RAID 1 right?

You could convert it to RAID 5 by doing a backup. Then create a new array as RAID 5 with addition of another 500GB disk and restore the data.

But as always...the FreeNAS forums would be the best place to ask.
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Sorry its not MSI - it is LSI
            LSI MegaRAID SATA to be exact.

http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/prod...08x/index.html

looks like it might be possible from the user guide.

I got the inspiration to build it from :

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/cheap-...view-1773.html

so my RAID is hardware controlled, not software, thus giving me some OS independence.

I bought the RAID card and extra RAM off ebay.

I bought 2 different 500Gb hard discs - so they won't have the same failure points.

and threw it all into an old scrap 900Mhz PIII Dell, running FreeNAS off the original hard disc.
            Last edited by FarmerPalmer; 19 March 2009, 15:43.

Comment

Working...
            X