• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retrain to SQL DBA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrain to SQL DBA

I've been employed as a Business Analayst (with technical) for about 8 years now. Although I'm still looking for BA jobs, I'm wondering if it might be worth doing some DBA training in the current climate so as to expand my options.
    Ideally, I'd like to start in contract roles and there always seem to be plenty of DBA jobs available.
    I have about 8 years of SQL skills with programming, DTS, etc.
    Any thoughts?

Hay you used my password for your username

Give it back
    Originally posted by cailin maith
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by qwertyjjj View Post
      I've been employed as a Business Analayst (with technical) for about 8 years now. Although I'm still looking for BA jobs, I'm wondering if it might be worth doing some DBA training in the current climate so as to expand my options.
      Ideally, I'd like to start in contract roles and there always seem to be plenty of DBA jobs available.
      I have about 8 years of SQL skills with programming, DTS, etc.
      Any thoughts?
      But you wouldn't have any SQL DBA experience so nobody would hire you.
      But you have 8 years of SQL programming skills so why not look for SQL developer contract roles? - there are as many of them around as DBA roles.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
        But you wouldn't have any SQL DBA experience so nobody would hire you.
        But you have 8 years of SQL programming skills so why not look for SQL developer contract roles? - there are as many of them around as DBA roles.
        Yeah, could do but SQL doesn't seem to be enough. Most people advertise for SQL developers and then say oh...actually you're going to be an analyst programmer and you need C#, VB.NET, ASP, etc. Now, I know my way round PHP but I don't have the analyst programmer experience most places are looking for I don't think...not without some clever editing of the CV

Comment

...not without some clever editing of the CV
          A skill used much more frequently than SQL!

Comment

...not without some clever editing of the CV
            Err......so......
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Are there any pure SQL jobs out there? Seem few and far between...
              What's the IT industry market like at present - non financial?

Comment

Yeah, could do but SQL doesn't seem to be enough. Most people advertise for SQL developers and then say oh...actually you're going to be an analyst programmer and you need C#, VB.NET, ASP, etc. Now, I know my way round PHP but I don't have the analyst programmer experience most places are looking for I don't think...not without some clever editing of the CV
                Thats right enough. A lot of places using SQL Server appear to wants the developers to act as the dba. Thats why I'm planning to move more into BI

Comment

Originally posted by crimdon View Post
                  Thats right enough. A lot of places using SQL Server appear to wants the developers to act as the dba. Thats why I'm planning to move more into BI
                  IME, the DBA is only in charge of performance and maintaining the data. The programmer creates all the tables, stored procedures, etc. because they know what is going on with the program. How can it be any other way?

However, what I could be interested in is a pure SQL job without having to design any front ends with .NET, etc. but I don't think there's many of these jobs?

Comment

IME, the DBA is only in charge of performance and maintaining the data.
                    Do you have this experience?
                    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                    X