• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google streetview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google streetview

What does the panel think then? Excellent and useful technology? Further electronic intrusion into our lives?

No poll. Discuss.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

I had a play with it today.

(Google Earth, before anyone makes any smutty jokes)

Crashed IE a few times.

Was disappointed that it didn't cover the whole of the UK.

I do like the idea of getting a feel for a place before you go there.

Eg, I've never been to Kew Gardens, but with Streetview and Hybrid/Satellite view I can get a good enough look around to save me bothering to go there.

I also did a 5 minute tour of Greenwich Observatory, from the comfort of my armchair. That's saved me several hours messing about on transports, paying ridiculous food prices, queues, etc.

Brilliant as far as I am concerned...
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I decided to take a tour of Craggy Island on google streetview. I spent hours trying to find father Ted's gaff then I spotted a mono-browed delinquent in an "I shot JR" t-shirt. I knew exactly where to go after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
        I do like the idea of getting a feel for a place before you go there.

Eg, I've never been to Kew Gardens, but with Streetview and Hybrid/Satellite view I can get a good enough look around to save me bothering to go there.

I also did a 5 minute tour of Greenwich Observatory, from the comfort of my armchair. That's saved me several hours messing about on transports, paying ridiculous food prices, queues, etc.
        Now I'm not one to subscribe to the whole "we're constantly under the threat of terrorism" type sh it that government and media peddle, but surely this makes it a whole lot easier to perform reconnaisance, even if it is purfunctory "rule it out" type.... which would ergo speed up the TTL of any would be terrorist act no?
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Now I'm not one to subscribe to the whole "we're constantly under the threat of terrorism" type sh it that government and media peddle, but surely this makes it a whole lot easier to perform reconnaisance, even if it is purfunctory "rule it out" type.... which would ergo speed up the TTL of any would be terrorist act no?
          Well reconnaisance is a vital part of operation planning, however, a potential terrorist would still visit these locations prior to an operation, to see things the static recon cannot see, eg, dynamic security movements, new constructions and changes to the site, etc.

Which essentially means that any terrorist using the Google Streetview solely to plan an operation is not a very smart one, and has a very high chance of mission failure.

Personally, I'd had Photoshopped some of the images to deter terrorists and feed them disinformation.

However, I think the A-Team, Airwolf, Judge Dredd and the X-Men lounging around the Houses of Parliament might be a bit suspicious.
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
            Well reconnaisance is a vital part of operation planning, however, a potential terrorist would still visit these locations prior to an operation, to see things the static recon cannot see, eg, dynamic security movements, new constructions and changes to the site, etc.

Which essentially means that any terrorist using the Google Streetview solely to plan an operation is not a very smart one, and has a very high chance of mission failure.

Personally, I'd had Photoshopped some of the images to deter terrorists and feed them disinformation.

However, I think the A-Team, Airwolf, Judge Dredd and the X-Men lounging around the Houses of Parliament might be a bit suspicious.

That was the "rule it out" point I made above. If they can rule out targets quickly then they can spend more time on ones they haven't ruled out, and there will be a quicker "time to market" as it were.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Well funny this is mentioned.

I as just looking at it today and sure enough I can see myself sat in the lounge working away.

Does no bother me really but I've no idea who it benefits.

Flight boarding!
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Like the way they have 'blanked' out car reg numbers.
                Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
                  Like the way they have 'blanked' out car reg numbers.
                  Yes. When it works. It doesn't always though.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                    Yes. When it works. It doesn't always though.
                    Don't know if the UK version does it, but the US one blurs faces too.

It also blurs things it thinks are faces.
                    When you think of it, that's really impressive on the pattern recognition... it's TOO clever...
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X