• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work vs not work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work vs not work

Quite an interesting piece in the times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle5941255.ece

Paul Bright, a factory manager for a paper doily factory in Essex who has also been made redundant, has the same drive. At 60, he could retire. “All I want to do is work again,” he says. “I am like a smoker who doesn't know what to do with his hands once he's quit. I need to feel useful.”

The Chawners wouldn't understand. Mr and Mrs Chawner and their two daughters insist that they are “too fat to work” because they have a combined weight of 83 stone - so they watch television all day living off their £22,000 benefits. In the past 11 years, only the youngest daughter, Emma, has attended a job interview and that was on The X Factor, where she was kicked out in the first round. Mr Chawner explains: “Often I'm so tired from watching TV I have to have a nap. I certainly couldn't work. I deserve more.”

In fact, nearly eight million people of working age in Britain have been “economically inactive” for the past few years. More than 2.5 million of them are on incapacity benefit - of these 2,130 people are too “fat” to work; 1,100 can't work because they have trouble getting to sleep; 4,000 get headaches; 380 are confined to the sofa by haemorrhoids; 3,000 are kept at home by gout; and half a million are too depressed to get a job. According to Dame Carol Black, the National Director of Health and Work, one child in five now comes from a family where neither parent works, yet at the end of last year there were half a million job vacancies.
    and people wonder why the tax take is so high
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

8 million is more than my estimate, I thought about 7 million IIRC.

So they reckon just under 1 in 3 of working age people don't work!
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I'm probabaly going to get flamed to hell for this but I'm in a pis*y mood this morning. I'm all in favour of taking these workshy scumbags, stopping their benefits and forcing them off the sofa and back to work. I don't really give a toss if they can't afford the next bag of Rolos and if they end up living under a bridge; they can cook and eat the rats for dinner.

Put these fat tulipes on supermarket checkouts or have lights stuck to their heads and use them as navigation buoys or something. The worst that can happen is they get run down by a cruise ship and end up as fish food.

At least they will finally have contributed something to the cycle of life.
      Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
        they have a combined weight of 83 stone
        They could used as a fuel source. Simply attach a tap to their belly button and extract fat. I expect you could run an old diesel off that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          8 million is more than my estimate, I thought about 7 million IIRC.

So they reckon just under 1 in 3 of working age people don't work!
          8 million votes in the bag for NL though eh?
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Oh here we go again. Some Cukkers are like Watson's behavioural rats. Prod them in the right place and the result is completely predictable. Who said behaviourism was dead.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Oh here we go again. Some Cukkers are like Watson's behavioural rats. Prod them in the right place and the result is completely predictable. Who said behaviourism was dead.
              rumbled

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

True story, gf had a patient in who asked to get his sick line extended, ""OK what is wrong with you?" "athletes foot" "what?" she checks his records and someone had signed him off work for 3 months with "athlete's foot". She then told him to forget it, 5 days later he was in complaining of a sore back wanting a sick line, she told him to GTF, he threatened to complain.

Comment

I still believe those who are "pulling the wool" are not only ripping off the taxpayer. They are stealing from those who really need the help. Pensioners are forced to live off a pittance after a lifetime of paying into the tax system.
                  Disabled people, who really can't get a job or could do with some support to get one. While some who never paid a penny make a nice tidy sum.

BTW the number of long term unemployed hasn't really changed over the last 20 years. If they vote for the government who provides the benefits then they have also voted Tory at some point.
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I blame the immigrants 'innit?

Comment

Working...
                    X