• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you become a manager?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now think about this. Mitch the tester posted on hear a few days ago about modern management, and in that thread the view point appeared to me that the modern workplace has changed muchly, workers at the bottom of the foodchain are becoming more and more skilled, and hence more difficult to manage. That said, the highly skilled savant-like programming proletariat could not muster the people skills to climb the greasy pole leaving a vacuous gap filled by those less skilled technically and with better people skills.

So this set me thinking. My experience of modern management is that they do not think things through properly, are slapdash and dump on the skilled workforce in a very Dilbert kind of way. Is it possible to have a manager that has come up through the ranks, progressed upwards through natural means, not just landed a managerial role because they have a 2-1 in Business systems from Hatfield Poly and play golf with the chief exec?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Can you talk bollux? Have you no common sense? Are you rude and abusive?

If yes to all those then you are perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Not really, that's the problem. Does anyone know of any good training courses I can go on to get certified in these skills? Or perhaps I should just hang out on the golf course and try and soak it up?
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

sasguru is a manager.

Comment

This isn't the small ads BP
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Most of the Management I've come across use Dilbert as a training manual!

There are many traits required to be a decent manager. Unfortunately, none of these are taught in schools/colleges/universities these days...
            'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              Is it possible to have a manager that has come up through the ranks, progressed upwards through natural means, not just landed a managerial role because they have a 2-1 in Business systems from Hatfield Poly and play golf with the chief exec?
              Is it possible to hang around long enough and not be given the poisoned chalice of a managerial role?
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I was one a technically 'talented' resource that made it up the greasy management pole...The problem was that while I was good at the management side (reporting to the IT Director of a large 5000+ resource organisation who was willing to coach me) I just got really fed up with the politics.
                You've basically got to be an absolute bastard to get to Exec level and above and I'm not like that.......so I turned to contracting instead!

Comment

A radical lobotomy is usually the first small step towards management I find.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I bought Football Manager

HTH
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X