• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK's first black CEO

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK's first black CEO

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7955282.stm

No surprisingly he was educated outside the UK.
    If he had been educated here, no doubt he would be asking "Would you like chips with that?"
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

What's his skin colour got to do with anything?

Comment

...and CUK descends to new depths.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

'The stark reality is that 33 years since the passing of the landmark Race Relations Act there is still a colour bar to jobs in the UK. '

This is politically correct cobblers and it does not surprise me at all to see this on the BBC website. Anybody can start a business in the UK and colour has no bearing whatsoever, no more than age or which part of the country you come from, or with which accent that you speak with. If somebody is good enough they will always rise to the top in the UK more than anywhere else in the world.

Comment

Why? I'm merely observing that the education system here does not seem to be working for ethnic minorities since it took someone educated outside to make it to the top.

HTH.
          Last edited by sasguru; 20 March 2009, 16:28.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post

This is politically correct cobblers and it does not surprise me at all to see this on the BBC website. Anybody can start a business in the UK and colour has no bearing whatsoever, no more than age or which part of the country you come from, or with which accent that you speak with. If somebody is good enough they will always rise to the top in the UK more than anywhere else in the world.

You really think we could have a black (or even half-black) Prime Minister?
            You really do live in cloud cuckoo land.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Why? I'm merely observing that the education system here does not seem to be working for ethnic minorities since it took someone educated outside to make it to the top.

HTH.
              Tosh. I've no idea what the exact average age of a company CEO is, but my guess is it's probably 40+, which means that they would have been in secondary school 30-odd years ago. At that point there were a lot less black kids in UK schools, it's simply a numbers game.

No-one in my year at school is a CEO of a FTSE100 company ergo schooling didn't work for my year... I'm sure you could pick much larger demographies for which the same is true (whole school, village, town, probably even cities).
              Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I wonder if one of the recently redundant Executives would come up and say ... immigrants are taking our jobs.....

Comment

I can't believe that this guy is the first black CEO in the UK, maybe they mean the first black person to become CEO of one of the older large British companies.

There are plenty of black people in this country who own or run successful large businesses, some are British born and bred and some immigrated here.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    I can't believe that this guy is the first black CEO in the UK, maybe they mean the first black person to become CEO of one of the older large British companies.

There are plenty of black people in this country who own or run successful large businesses, some are British born and bred and some immigrated here.
                    It clearly states.....First Black CEO of any "FTSE 100" .....

Comment

Working...
                    X