• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can a Lotus Elise reach 173 mph?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a Lotus Elise reach 173 mph?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/d...re/7955457.stm
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

drop it from a plane and it might
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

A friend has an Elise and while it's a nippy rollerskate of a car there's no way that it would get vaguely close to 150 let alone 173 even on a track or runway and certainly not on an A road. My friends one has been messed about with by a tuning company too.

I assume he was clocked more than once on the trip as surely a wildly inaccurate recorded speed would destroy any case the police had.

Comment

"Tex O'Reily"
        Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Ravello View Post
          "Tex O'Reily"
          Bloody hell, he used to post on CUK
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

No, a Lotus can't, no way, no how. Even with a bigger engine it couldn't. I do know there is a mod out there with a claimed 160 mph, which is unbelievable. Frankly unless they've braced everything, especially that windscreen, I'd imagine the whole car would just blow to pieces.

Back of a fag packet calculation of 140 mph at sea level would be the tops in my estimation. Yes, using the engine power/drag calculation gives you a higher theoretical top speed, but I'm on about the materials limits.

As to throwing one out of a plane: if you did it at 10000 ft, it'd hit the deck doing somewhere between 50 mph and 90 mph depending on the mode of the tumble.

Why the CPS brought this prosecution is the interesting question: when the evidence obviously would not stand up to even the most cursory examination.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Interesting that judge fined him £5000 and banned him for doing an unproven 105 mph and said he would have gone to prison if it had been 150 mph.

Comment

You will need to take it to a garage if it does as it would have blown something, then again being a lotus it will spend quite a lot of time in the garage.
                Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

He pleaded guilty to 105mph and the prosecution accepted that. He got a 2-year ban and a £5000 fine.

Is that normal, or did he get a bit of "we think you did more than that so we'll give you the top end"?

Comment

He was clocked in a 50mph zone. Exceeding the limit by 55mph is pretty serious!

Comment

Working...
                    X