• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What exactly is 'time' ? please define.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What exactly is 'time' ? please define.

I started thinking about "time" as an 'element', as a 'force', as a concept .... what the hell is it exactly !!?!? and where does it come from !!!!?

Time is nature's way of stopping everything happening at once.

Attributed to John Archibald Wheeler
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Time is Money, plus 15% VAT, it comes from unwitting ClientCos.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
        I started thinking about "time" as an 'element', as a 'force', as a concept .... what the hell is it exactly !!?!? and where does it come from !!!!?
        Give us a minute to explain.............
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

A clock representing man's impending doom is as nourishing to the mind as a photograph of oxygen to a drowning man. -Jon Osterman
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post

I've been saying this for years!
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              I've been saying this for years!
              Well I guess it's time to make a stand then.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
                  Time can be looked at in two ways, the first is as a subject of philosophical exploration, the second way is by using intuition.

The first way of looking at time has a whole load of problems, it's only humans who do this so it's subjective, the language gets in the way, the way the human brain works gets in the way. If science tells us something that is fundamentally opposed to what we observe, which do we believe ?

The second way of looking at time is by using intuition. We just 'know' what it is. The dinosaurs understood time, they couldnt get by without knowing. Humans evolved with the same understanding of time, if it was good enough to get us evolved to this point, maybe thats all we need to know.

We just 'know' that there is a past, a present and a future. We just 'know' that the food we ate last week is not going to be there next week, it's in the past. We just 'know' that if we fire an arrow it will get to its target in a certain amount of time. It's not going to stop, its not going to go backwards.

Science, on the other hand, tells us that time is a variable, it can speed up and slow down. At least it goes in the same direction as intuitive time though, which is a bonus. Philosophers will say that this might be an illusion, time can go in the other direction, like un-drinking a pint of lager back into the glass, then getting younger till we get unconceived.

what exactly is it?

It has a lot of the properties of a law. If you make a fixed length pendulum, it will swing in a frequency that is a constant multiple of the half life of uranium. Its not possible to take a law and look at it in a test tube.

where does it come from ?

Science tells us that it was not created, it has always existed. The big bang is a result of cause and effect, a cause and its effect are seperated by time, therefore time must have preceded the big bang and could not have been created by it.

intuition tells us that it doesnt actually exist as a thing. It simply a way of describing that one event occurs after another, always has done and always will.

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post

Space is natures way of stopping it all happening to you.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X