• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ebay - more trouble than it's worth?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebay - more trouble than it's worth?

I'm just about to start my ebay career by selling a few items that are gathering dust on shelves.

Problem is, I've been reading forums and my impression is that sellers are being harassed by picky buyers who generally complain about everything and expect something for nothing.

Is this the case or is it that generally most sellers are happy with their lot and don't bother saying it on these forums?

My aim is to clear out stuff that I've bought and never used rather than to make loads of money from it - but is it worth the (potential) hassle?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

My wife's been ebaying for the last few weeks, she's started off selling nearly new clothing items but once they had gone she tried her luck with some tatty old jeans which sold no problem, it amazes me what people will buy.

Just bloat the postage so you make a profit no mater what, and no she's hasn’t had any problems with picky buyers.

Beats giving it away to bogus charity collectors who sell it on anyway... hmmm I have a plan.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      I'm just about to start my ebay career by selling a few items that are gathering dust on shelves.

Problem is, I've been reading forums and my impression is that sellers are being harassed by picky buyers who generally complain about everything and expect something for nothing.

Is this the case or is it that generally most sellers are happy with their lot and don't bother saying it on these forums?

My aim is to clear out stuff that I've bought and never used rather than to make loads of money from it - but is it worth the (potential) hassle?
      You're correct. EBay is a waste of time and only fit to sell junk imo. I recently listed a used inkjet print but it was as new, in original box with disc, instruction book and 3 cartridges. I got £22 for it.

However, the buyer then complained saying it didnt work, the lid had come off and she wanted her money back.

I know for a fact it was working before despatch and even printed the courier address label with it. She complained to Ebay claiming the item was listed as brand new (listing was 'Used') and not as described. Paypal \ EBay as for my comments which I gave. Within 24 hours, Paypal \ EBAY reversed the money out of my account and refunded the buyer in full.

She's returned my printer, damaged and not in the orignal box. Paypal \ Ebay will do **** all and say they'll only consider an appeal if I can prove the printer was returned in a condition different to how I sent it! How the **** do I do that after the event?

My advice, take stuff to the tip or find some local charidee \ recycle organisation who'll take stuff for free.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        She's returned my printer, damaged and not in the orignal box. Paypal \ Ebay will do **** all and say they'll only consider an appeal if I can prove the printer was returned in a condition different to how I sent it! How the **** do I do that after the event?

My advice, take stuff to the tip or find some local charidee \ recycle organisation who'll take stuff for free.

Apparently it is quite common for people to buy stuff on Ebay and return a damaged item which is not the same serial number. Is it definitely the same printer that you despatched ?

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          You're correct. EBay is a waste of time and only fit to sell junk imo. I recently listed a used inkjet print but it was as new, in original box with disc, instruction book and 3 cartridges. I got £22 for it.

However, the buyer then complained saying it didnt work, the lid had come off and she wanted her money back.

I know for a fact it was working before despatch and even printed the courier address label with it. She complained to Ebay claiming the item was listed as brand new (listing was 'Used') and not as described. Paypal \ EBay as for my comments which I gave. Within 24 hours, Paypal \ EBAY reversed the money out of my account and refunded the buyer in full.

This highlights the fundamental problem with ebay. A lot of the people doing the selling are ameteurs, not really cut out for real business, but because there are now a lot of real businesses on there the buyers are treating everybody like they're an evil corporation. Any sense of community there may have been is long gone.

Which is not to say you were to blame, just that if you're going to go into any kind of sales business you need a thick skin and should expect a certain amount of carp, and I think the typical seller doesn't get that. In particular, people don't get that distance selling regulations protect the buyer and not the seller.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I've had better results advertising locally ie local post office notice board.

Failing that you are probably better off trying your luck at a car booty.

Ebay and PayPal fees are a rip off these days and it hardly makes it worth the hassle.

Comment

Ebay - redistributing the worlds junk.

Comment

I have the opposite - ebay is an excellent place to sell new things and old

If you clealy highlight and caveat your product you will not have a problem.

My Plan B is in operation on Ebay and off its own website for a good 16 months - and I have never had a problem to date with them

My only issue is their costing - but it has gone down in thelast 6 months but still not as much as it should.

Comment

Everything I've bought on EBAY has been fine - especially the auto dimming rear view mirror for the car which I got for a fifth of the price the main dealer wanted.

As for selling my bits and bobs - I tried doing it - but the thing that got to me was wrapping the bits up and then queuing at the post office to send them. Items I had sold for a fiver and then had to queue for an hour to send them off. Got fed up with it.

Comment

I've sold various bits of unwanted tat and never had any problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X