• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This actually happened II

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This actually happened II

Woz on the phone to my moms earlier today, she's telling me about the some visiting she was doing. On the way back home her and the dog (a small dog not even knee height) got into a taxi (a black cab).

Taxi driver ordered them out. Apparently the driver was off to the mosque after this his next fair and if the dog were in the taxi he would have to go home and wash himself before attending.

I'm lost for words.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

I'm lost for words.
    At what? His laziness, or his dedication to his religion?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

When I used to work in Southwark Street and commute from Euston I went by black cab. (I don't and won't use the Underground ever, ever again.)

However, on the evenings where I had worked quite late, most black cabs would not stop.

Wearing a suit, carrying a briefcase and 8pm+ equals a drunk city type that will be more trouble than the fare is worth. Since I wore a suit and carried a briefcase, they leapt to an invalid assumption based upon prejudice.

"Is it coz I is white, innit?"

Having been in the back of a cab after someone has thrown up, my sympathy lies with the cabbies. So I didn't bother complaining to the Carriage Office. However, if I had been non-white, with a chip on my shoulder, and less experienced in the thinking of London cabbies...
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Are dogs allowed in taxis? Shouldn't cab drivers be allowed to decide who the passengers are?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Are dogs allowed in taxis? Shouldn't cab drivers be allowed to decide who the passengers are?
          Well normally a supplier can pick and choose whether to offer a service or not.

However, if you are offering goods or services, you cannot discriminate who you sell/offer them to on the basis of age, gender, religion, sexual orientation or disability - the last one being applicable in this case.

Where it gets awkward is assistance dogs (usually for the blind). Some asian taxi drivers have refused to take blind people on this basis.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
            Well normally a supplier can pick and choose whether to offer a service or not.

However, if you are offering goods or services, you cannot discriminate who you sell/offer them to on the basis of age, gender, religion, sexual orientation or disability - the last one being applicable in this case.

Where it gets awkward is assistance dogs (usually for the blind). Some asian taxi drivers have refused to take blind people on this basis.

That shopkeeper the other day : he refused to serve people who could not speak English. And quite rightly too in my book.

Comment

Every weekend, a thousand taxi drivers all over the country will refuse passengers who are obviously very drunk, because they don't want the inconvenience of having to get the vomit cleaned out of the taxi before the next fare. Where's the uproar about these guys 'picking and choosing' their clients?
              Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Taxi driver ordered them out. Apparently the driver was off to the mosque after this his next fair and if the dog were in the taxi he would have to go home and wash himself before attending.

I'm lost for words.
                What's your problem with it? Nothing wrong I can see.

Comment

Experience I guess. The first time it's happened since the mutt was a puppy 4 years ago...
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

If the taxi driver ordered them out, then they must have been in already, so he was already contaminated.

Of course, if he was true follower of that enlightened and peaceful religion, he would have recognised that by taking your mum and her dog as a fare, he would be "going the extra mile", and thereby gain brownie points from his God. Or maybe Allah is impressed by one of his followers putting his own convenience before others, especially as she's a mere woman. Who knows?
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X