• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Wire

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wire

I see this is going to be shown on BBC2 from Monday 30 March.

I've heard it's a good series but nothing specific.

What makes it so good?

Is it worth dedicating time to watching the whole 5 series which I believe the beeb will be showing?

It's Good

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    I see this is going to be shown on BBC2 from Monday 30 March.

I've heard it's a good series but nothing specific.

What makes it so good?

Is it worth dedicating time to watching the whole 5 series which I believe the beeb will be showing?
    What's good about it? "Realism", good plot and sub-plots, interesting and generally credible characters, it feels like a window into lives of others, it's funny.

What's not so good about it? The genuine street language can be difficult to understand sometimes, but you can always use subtitles. If you're not concentrating, you end up wondering WTF just happened and having to rewind (I have the entire DVD set). Fortunately it's good, so you end up concentrating. There are one or two cheesy moments, but in well over 50 hours of programme that's forgivable.

Some scene's are so well done I've watched them several times, just for the fun. In particular the opening scene to series 4 is great.

The entiire show has a unifying story but each series (or as they say, Season) opens up a new layer of the socio-political structure of city and as I'm approaching the end I feel like I've been not only entertained, but educated.

I suppose I quite like it. I'm not even a fan of TV in general, I would generally class a long-running drama like this as a complete waste of my time much like computer games and yes, the Wire has taken a lot of my time but I don't feel it's been wasted, really.

I tried to start a new thread under Legal and Accounting earlier today but it's not shown up, what's with that? Are all new threads moderated?

Comment

I have watched the first series and I found it very refreshing for a US Cop Drama.

For a start, the Wire does not patronise the audience, by presenting a main case per episode, with a few side cases, and it's all nicely wrapped up at the end and the cops go home for tea, cake and medals.

The Wire assumes the audience are intelligent, observant, and want more than a 45 min, all loose ends wrapped up fix.

The Wire demands your attention, and if you don't focus on the storyline, you'll soon get left behind.

I'm not saying the storyline moves fast, it doesn't. Quite the reverse, since all 13 episodes of a season focus on 1 single case.

It's the level of detail which the Wire goes in to that makes it demanding.

Also, the characterisation is second-to-none. There are no "good cops" and "bad cops". Just lots of shades of grey.

Streetslang is rife in the series, and the Wire assumes you are able to understand or at least get the gist.

The humour is black.

There is a lot of inter-departmental politics and in-fighting, which adds another dimension to the story.

Some episodes are low-key and character-driven. There may be no "action" as such, apart from the tension in the characters home lives, their own personal dramas, their struggles to try and do the right thing or just survive in a corrupt Police Department.

Other episodes might be more action based, with stakeouts, shootings, etc.

IMHO, the Wire is not suitable for people who just want to sit down, chill out and passively watch some cop drama.

You really do need to pay attention, actively think about what's going, and understand the characters and their foibles.

If you have seen Das Boot, the Wire is similar in some ways. Not very much action, but when it does happen it's brief and brutal. Long periods of cops trying to make progress against stupid paperwork and rules, and then inspiring breakthroughs as they close in towards their goal. Characters that are well developed and believable.

If you watch with a friend or partner who is similarly interested, I guarantee that you'll be having in-depth chats along the way.

The Wire makes you think.

10/10 from the BGG stable.
      Last edited by Board Game Geek; 22 March 2009, 23:58.
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

hmm. Das Boot. That's quite a recommendation. It's on too late for me.

"Why does everyone laugh at humour".
        "It's cos I is black, innit".
        Last edited by NotAllThere; 23 March 2009, 06:26.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I thought I'd like it (liked the Shield) but could never get into it...
          Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
            I thought I'd like it (liked the Shield) but could never get into it...
            It's difficult to get into. The storyline does move along very slow for the first few episodes of series one, but once you get to know all the charecters, it really starts to pick up. Just finished watching the last series and it's one of he best American TV shows I've seen in a long time.
            If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

Gf got the first 6 seasons on DVD and has been watching them all, I watched series 1 and chucked it after that. I think it is pretty average and way overrated, heard many people say it gets better but if the thing has not got my attention after 12 hours I ain't putting in anymore time.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
                It's difficult to get into. The storyline does move along very slow for the first few episodes of series one, but once you get to know all the charecters, it really starts to pick up. Just finished watching the last series and it's one of he best American TV shows I've seen in a long time.
                Slowly. You've obviously been watching too much American TV.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  Gf got the first 6 seasons on DVD and has been watching them all, I watched series 1 and chucked it after that. I think it is pretty average and way overrated, heard many people say it gets better but if the thing has not got my attention after 12 hours I ain't putting in anymore time.
                  There are only 5 seasons.

After one season I wasn't that bothered about watching season 2. I gave it a break of a month or so. Then thought I'd give it a go and wow I'm glad I did! This show really improves dramatically after season 1 and is totally excellent.

Very highly recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                    If you watch with a friend or partner who is similarly interested, I guarantee that you'll be having in-depth chats along the way.
                    Very much so. I'm not sure I could have watched it WITHOUT my similarly interested partner. The insights gained from another point of view ("what did YOU make of that??") are almost essential because, as BGG said, the whole show is shades of grey.

Comment

Working...
                    X