• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview questions

I had an interview last week which was broadly based on 'Competency based interview' structure.

I have never in my life aced these ones and does not look good this time as well.

I would have thought these types of interviews are for permanent roles. Anyways, one of the question that was asked was ' What are you passionate about, what makes you get up and come to work'.

To be honest my answer would have been plain and simple - 'Money'. However, those permi people interviewing me would not want that answer and I ended up blabbering something that I dont think worked either.

What could be that they want to hear? do you guys know what it is?

bulls-i

Originally posted by bullseye View Post
    I had an interview last week which was broadly based on 'Competency based interview' structure.

I have never in my life aced these ones and does not look good this time as well.

I would have thought these types of interviews are for permanent roles. Anyways, one of the question that was asked was ' What are you passionate about, what makes you get up and come to work'.

To be honest my answer would have been plain and simple - 'Money'. However, those permi people interviewing me would not want that answer and I ended up blabbering something that I dont think worked either.

bulls-i
    "Keeping my boss happy"
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
      "Keeping my boss happy"
      CUSTOMER
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

bulls-i
        Buy an interview technique book, they are filled with acceptable answers to these pointless questions. You can learn them parrot fashion.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
          CUSTOMER
          My answer was a slightly tongue in (ass) cheek reply to "what permies want to hear". HTH.
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I find the most difficult thing with that type of interview is keeping a straight face. I have an irresistable urge to laugh out loud and say "are you kidding? Surely nobody asks these type of questions anymore?" whenever somebody asks "what's your biggest weakness?"

I often wonder, if they know it's all tulip but are simply going through the motions, or whether they really believe it. Sadly, asking would kind of give the game away, if they did.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
              My answer was a slightly tongue in (ass) cheek reply to "what permies want to hear". HTH.
              Those sort of questions used to drive me nuts and put me off in an instant. I remember on one occasion was asked the "where do you want to be in 5 years time" rubbish, and came very close to answering "mind your own damned business" and walking out.

I'm a very polite soul though (!) so I held my tongue. Never did find out if I was going to be offered the gig - I spoke to the pimp straight after I left the building and said I wasn't interested (it wasn't just the silly questions in the interview...it was one of those situations where one knew one was walking into a minefield). I rather suspect that they weren't either though
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

In an interview for an oil company a few weeks after the Alaskan oil spill. They asked me what I thought about all the damage being caused by the spill.
                I said 'dunno, havn't really thought about it. Dont really know much about politics'

the consensus was that they were trying to weed out the eco warriors

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  In an interview for an oil company a few weeks after the Alaskan oil spill. They asked me what I thought about all the damage being caused by the spill.
                  I said 'dunno, havn't really thought about it. Dont really know much about politics'

the consensus was that they were trying to weed out the eco warriors

You should have said "a dreadful waste of revenue". They'd have offered you the job on the spot and you'd be running the company by now!

Comment

What are you passionate about, what makes you get up and come to work'
                    What's a good answer? How about to earn enough to able to afford to buy some food? It could be a good answer next year.

Comment

Working...
                    X